Skip to main content

Hello,

I'm using few Sonos speakers including a pair of Sonos play:5 V2 on a daily basis on my phone's hotspot 👌

It works like a charm for months and I'm able to control speakers from my MacBook or my wife's iphone whenever they are connected to the hotspot ☀️

Nevertheless, the hotspot device (my android phone) cannot see the Sonos devices in it's Sonos S2 app due to the limitation that Sonos app:

1. Verifies if connected to wifi 🤔

2. Searches for Sonos speakers on that wifi

And the million $ question is: why the hell Sonos developers thought it's not "cool" to search for Sonos speakers on my hotspot? 😞

Why do I have to permanently use another device just because of this stupid check for wifi before searching for speakers? 🙃

#FeatureRequest 💪

If one of you Sonos developers is passing by here, please enable the speaker search on the device hotspot when building Sonos S3, this will be a game changer for power users like me ☀️👍👌

And the million $ question is: why the hell Sonos developers thought it's not "cool" to search for Sonos speakers on my hotspot? 😞

The app doesn’t bind to the local (hotspot) interface. It’s facing the wrong way. But as a “power user” I’m sure you realised this?

Hotspot usage is actually not supported anyway, despite your success in using it locally with another control device.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126

Unsupported network setups and devices
Wireless internet connections such as satellite, mobile hotspots, or LTE routers

Power users have the right to demand the impossible, surely?

The app doesn’t bind to the local (hotspot) interface. It’s facing the wrong way. But as a “power user” I’m sure you realised this?

Hotspot usage is actually not supported anyway, despite your success in using it locally with another control device.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126

Unsupported network setups and devices
Wireless internet connections such as satellite, mobile hotspots, or LTE routers

In order for this to work, the hotspot device would need to somehow section itself off (it’s apps anyway) as a device, a separate IP,  on the hotspot network that it created.  Sort of...walling itself off from the phone network.  Assuming this was even possible for android and iOS  given hardware and all, it would only be useful for the Sonos app and maybe a few other apps. 

Alternatively, the Sonos app would have to communicate via a cloud server when not on the same network as your speakers.  That has it’s positives and minus as well. and probably not something Sonos wants to do just for the infrequuent use case when Someone wants to use their non-mobile speakers in a nonmobile environment, doesn’t have a 2nd android/iOS device to use, and doesn’t want to use voice control….which they don’t currently support.

In hotspot mode a phone functions as a router and DHCP server. It provides private IPs to its hotspot clients, along with its own private gateway IP.

This is entirely separate from all the other apps running on the phone, which -- for obvious reasons -- face outwards, onto its internet connection.