Skip to main content

Just updated to 14.18 and now I see there is a dot under each room. I don't think it was there before. At least I don't remember. What does this mean? 

You have updated the Sonos App, have you updated the Sonos devices?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/225?language=en_US

You have updated the Sonos App, have you updated the Sonos devices?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/225?language=en_US

Yes. All devices are also on 14.18. 

OK. I updated the App from App Store, but not the devices yet. I see the dots, and (wrongly) assumed it was advising the devices weren't updated. So I am also none the wiser what the dots are :)

My Android app is still on 14.16 and doesn’t have the dots, whilst my iPad app is on 14.18 and does have the dots. All my rooms have them so not sure what it denotes!

Actually just turned on my Roam speaker and obviously that wasn’t updated earlier and that has a red dot with “needs updating” next to it so maybe the greyish dots show that all is OK and they are on the latest?

Edit - now the Roam has been updated and that has the same grey dot as the other speakers.

Another sonos mystery 

There’s certainly nothing listed on the Release Notes page.

Maybe is on a “need to know” basis....

Have the system page icons changed too?

Not on iOS, no. The “System” page looks the same. 

But I don’t recall any “icons” on that page in the first place. 

I think the dot show if the speaker is updated (grey dot) or not (red dot):

I lifted the picture from the Dutch language forum. “Heeft een update nodig" translates to “Needs an update".

Yes appears red dot needs update, grey is ok. 

I have only updated the iOS App to 14.18, and I see black (grey) dots on all speakers, that are all running 14.16. Maybe you only see red dots if at least one speaker is running 14.18 ?

Hi @Whistler et al

Thanks for your post!

We are aware of this issue which appears to be cosmetic only. Red dot’s should appear when there is something needing addressed with that particular room, but the dot should disappear altogether when not red. This only appears to happen on iOS controllers, and will be addressed in a future update.

Not on iOS, no. The “System” page looks the same. 

But I don’t recall any “icons” on that page in the first place. 

Bruce, this…

Before and after update. 

Hmm, thanks for that. I suspect because I don’t have any ‘needs work’ speakers, it doesn’t show up for me…much like Corry was suggesting, the grey dots on the other page appear to be a bug, and don’t show up on the system page. For me ;)

I think its just the dots have always been there but you couldn’t see them, as they were the same colour as background. With 14.18 iOS App the default colour of the dot is not the same as background colour so you see them.

Entirely possible. I’m just happy it’s not a blocking\audio issue, only a display issue….and my eyes are already starting to ignore them. ;) 

The dots have been ‘recoloured’ to match background in 14.18.1. If you put your phone close to your ear, you can still hear them. I’m sure the dots had a different sound in 14.18 😀

Hi All,

The dots have been ‘recoloured’ to match background in 14.18.1. If you put your phone close to your ear, you can still hear them. I’m sure the dots had a different sound in 14.18 😀

Just to confirm part of what @craigski says very, very slightly, this issue has been resolved with the app-only update to 14.18.1. 😏

If you can hear the dots, we are not qualified to assist. Good luck! 😁