Skip to main content

The Sonos Spotify UI is limited vs direct Spotify, i.e. Recents…

Why would a company that makes hdwr limit the apps that they try to facilitate in their own host app? Why do I need the sonos app to manage my music that is already managed in Spotify? Sonos is just another layer of software that has limited value added. Seems its purpose is to monitor my Sonos Move use. 

Sonos wrote the API, Spotify is the one who chooses which aspects to implement, Sonos has very little control over that. I’ll certainly grant you that the Sonos API doesn’t cover every small feature, but that’s why the whole ‘Spotify Connect’ exists, so you can choose, if you prefer, to use the Spotify application, skipping the Sonos app in the majority of uses. 

Thank you for this Bruce. Makes complete sense. 

I must say I do not understand the complete value added of the Sono’s app other than being a utility to setup and tune their audio hdwr. I believe the rest of it is their attempt to stay in the loop for tracking and listener data capture. 

All part of the ‘Social Network Delema’ (scary documentary) we find ourselves. 

When I search an artist, album or song the Sonos app will find it across all my streaming services as well as my NAS. I think that is a great feature in a fine app, which I enjoy and leave the paranoia behind 😊

@Jeff E. Your conspiracy theory that Sonos added the integration in order to gather data has one fatal flaw. 

The integration of Spotify into the Sonos app came many years before the ability to use the Spotify app directly. If Sonos so valued the data they were getting (according to you), why would they put development effort into giving users a way of avoiding this?

Your ignorance of the history has led you to a false conclusion.

Sonos integrated Spotify  into its app years before Spotify Connect existed.