Skip to main content

The speakers are amazing! The app and the website are not. They are full of glitches, drops, and oh they start playing music BY THEMSELF. Yes, it was night. Everyone was asleep and the speakers started blasting music. I shut down every electronic in the house AND THEY STILL PLAYED. When one of the devices finally turned on, I went into the app, it took a while but it suddenly realized it was playing from my amazon account. I don’t have anything set up for voice commands so I know that wasn’t it, plus WE WERE SLEEPING NO ONE WAS USING THEIR DEVICES AND WE HADN’T USED SONOS IN A FEW DAYS. I love the sound quality of these speakers, but I don’t like the app. I highly doubt that the speakers themselves are at fault. Even this website is horrible. As I’m trying to write this it keeps coming up with related topics, but won’t go away and won’t let me select anything. It took me a while before I could get it to work just to post this. 

If you’re wondering:

Sonos one Gen2 (x3)

macOS Catalina 10.15.3

Mac Sonos app 11.0 (and on all three speakers)

iPhone Xs iOS 13.3.1

iPhone Sonos app 11.0

I even sent diagnostic information 1195241719 (computer) & 2098131121 (iPhone).

Hello there @Shenah,

Welcome to the Sonos community and thank you for reaching out with your rather unusual playback issue. 

I’m hoping that you can provide a few more details about what is happening when the speakers started playback on their own. Since the speakers have been rebooted since the playback issue occurred, there are some key pieces of data that is missing from the diagnostic reports.

• Was the same music playing on all three speakers or were they each playing something different?
  • Does anyone else have access to your WiFi network?  
  • Was playback via Apple Airplay or did the Sonos app indicate that playback was from the service itself. 
  • Were you able to connect to the Sonos system while the playback was occurring or was it necessary to reboot the speakers to connect with your Phone or Mac app?

Its entirely possible that music playback was paused from a few days ago and that playback was started again via the touch controls on the players themselves (not unheard of if you have animals) 

How frequently does this particular problem happen or has this only happened once?   

If this happens again, is it possible to submit a diagnostic immediately after the playback starts?

You may want to reach out to our support team directly to get to the bottom of this. 

They were playing different music. Two in the kitchen were playing one and mine in the bedroom was playing differently.

No one else has access to our wifi except the three of us who were at home.

airplay was not connected on any of the devices and it didn’t show in the Sonos app until after I shut off one of the phones and then turned it back on. It still played even after I turned all devices off and then turned them back on. There’s no reason it should still be playing when all devices in the house are off. Then it finally showed that the Sonos was playing through the Sonos app on one of the phones once I had rebooted the phone and then reopened the app. None of the electronics were open or accidentally touching anything. I couldn’t turn the speakers off because they were out of reach and I had already disabled the touch and light on them since we wouldn’t be able to get to them without a small ladder anyway. There are no kids or pets in the house.

This is the only time this has happened, but I have only been able to get two of the three to work since then. Even one month later one still will not work. I sent the diagnostic information to you before trying to use any of them again right after it happened.

The sound quality is amazing, but I am not impressed with the item so far.

I have sent an email to the support team directly using the link above.

“There’s no reason it should still be playing when all devices in the house are off “ - sure there is. The “devices” do not play the music, those are remote controls only. Your speakers are the ones that actually grab and play the music, they don’t care if you drop all your phones into a blender. External web calls are capable of causing devices to play stuff.

Mystery playback is always caused by one of these: Spotify Connect, cats, CR200s, IFTTT, Yonomi, network hacks.

Once you submit a usable diagnostic, Sonos support will be able to give you an idea which of these did it.

Don’t use Spotify. Only pandora and whats on my phone. also, I sent diagnostic information. If it doesn’t send you everything there's not much I can do is there. In addition to that, I have not been able to get one to connect at all.

Did you just resend it? If so post the number here.

It’s in the original post. 

That was a month ago. Not sure its still around.

Ah, gotcha. Yea, never hurts to submit more data after a more recent occurrence. More hard data is always helpful.

Mine did this last year a couple of times, an email to Sonos and a diagnostic report sent showed that it was the CR200 that had instigated it. I switched it off and it’s never happened again.

Don’t forget to Trade-Up your CR-200s that aren’t being used.

The 30% discount offer you get is good forever so you don’t have to use it right away.

Is it me or does the web site suck a lot less today? Looks like someone updated it to work correctly on a PC-sized screen, with none of the enormous fonts that the old site used.