Skip to main content

Several S1 devices and a couple of S2. Operating S1 only and want to stay that way. I keep getting this message:

“Update the Sonos app to the latest version…”

Is this an update to S1, which I’m open to getting, or will this move me to S2, which I do NOT want? SONOS should make the messaging clear.

Thanks.

Hi. Devices aren't S1 or S2, the system is S1 or S2. Devices may be compatible with only S1, only S2 or both.

Update is not the same as upgrade. This is just an update to S1.

You will probably have to update the system as well as the app.

I agree that Sonos could be clearer about this.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was told by Sonos that devices are either compatible ONLY with S1 (legacy devices) or with both S1 and S2 (newer devices; my term “S2” devices). So my shortcut notation was just referring to that. Sorry if I misled anybody.

One cannot upgrade to S2 from anywhere within the S1 app; thank goodness for that. S2 needs a different app to be downloaded from the store.

Unfortunately Sonos also keeps enticing S1 users to update to S2 via a header in the S1 app, and I wish they would stop doing this.

Unfortunately Sonos also keeps enticing S1 users to update to S2 via a header in the S1 app, 

I think they say ‘upgrade’ in this instance, and that that is a deliberate distinction from ‘update’ for newer versions within a particular app.  I am not 100% sure they are that careful though.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was told by Sonos that devices are either compatible ONLY with S1 (legacy devices) or with both S1 and S2 (newer devices; my term “S2” devices). So my shortcut notation was just referring to that. Sorry if I misled anybody.

The Arc, Sub gen 3 and the Sonos Five are compatible only with S2.

Deliberate or not, the distinction between upgrade and update is one that is too small/subtle for an irreversible act that bricks the S1 kit of anyone that moves over to S2. 

I agree that this does not matter so much, given that it is not easy to inadvertently move to S2.

Deliberate or not, the distinction between upgrade and update is one that is too small/subtle for an irreversible act that bricks the S1 kit of anyone that moves over to S2. 

I agree that this does not matter so much, given that it is not easy to inadvertently move to S2.

I agree with all of that.  i wasn’t trying to suggest people should be expected to notice or rely on that distinction.