Skip to main content

Are you able to connect your turntable to the Sonos Amp ‘line in’ input and play music from vinyl to either a play 1,3 or 5 that is on your wireless network. 

Vic

Yes, although you need a pre-amp between the turntable and the Sonos. Some newer turntables have them built in.  

Thanks Bruce

Have set mine up as follows…..Turntable (Technics SL1210) into ‘line in’ of Sonos Amp - I haven't connected any wired speakers as yet as wanted to see if I could play vinyl through either the Play 1 or Play 5 I have on the wireless Network. So far, no luck. Also, didn't think a pre amp was needed with a Sonos Amp.

Not sure if I have everything set up right through the app.

Any pointers will be much appreciated

Vic

Yea, a pre-amp is needed to feed a phono signal to any Sonos device. Turntables put out an aptly named “phono level” output, which is extremely low. All Sonos devices are expecting a “line level” input, such as you would get from a CD player, or a tape player, or pretty much everything else other than a turntable. It’s possible if you were to set the line in level on the Sonos to 10, you might barely hear the input, but it wouldn’t be satisfactory. However, if you add the pre-amp, it fixes that problem. 

There are a lot of pointers in this thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/using-a-turntable-with-sonos-6769426

which is pinned to the top of this very forum area. 

Hi. Whether  a phono pre-amp is needed is entirely a question of the turntable, not the Amp. You can't get anywhere with this unless you have a pre-amp built in to turntable or standalone. 

If you do have a pre-amp,  go into the line in settings and pick one of your Play speaker 'rooms' as the Autoplay room.  Play some vinyl 

Thanks for all your reply’s

Plenty for me to try…..thanks guys!

Hoping it will resolve things….love my vinyl!!

Vic