Skip to main content
Answered

Version Unconfirmed

• 27 December 2017
  • 9 replies

I have 2 Play:1 speakers and have attempted to setup each one using my iPhone X & MacBook Pro.

I've been completely unsuccessful due to the "Version Unconfirmed" error each time (as in each Play:1 and trying with iOS & MacOS).

This couldn't be more frustrating and disappointing as someone who's very experienced in tech, but new to Sonos.
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you tried wiring one to router and running boost setup method. What happens then? Do with iPhone X right now.
I’ve disconnected, connected, plugged and unplugged. I’m still getting the version issue. System would eventually get set up only to have it disappear from my network. This is getting frustrating and becoming not worth the hassle. Done from my Mac and from my iPhone X. What gives!?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
System sets up completely. Then when you go out of app and come back
In the app says this?
I've tried to directly connect BOTH speakers to the router & they still had the EXACT SAME error messages. I tried this with my MBP & iPhone. Only ONCE did it seem to work, but then when I tried to access the speaker, I was asked to re-setup.

#FRUSTRATING
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Something strange like it is saying your phone has unknown versions. I would call Sonos support on phone as this is unusual message.
I received "Version Unconfirmed" on both speakers, no matter if I tried with iOS or MacOS.

I'm currently on hold, trying to get a support agent. 18+ minutes in.

Worst new product experience EVER.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sorry for issue. This is a rare one. Support has been slow pickup because of holidays.
An hour later ... John E (senior tech support) was able to diagnose the issue.

ANSWER: Reboot router

REASON: During initial setup, the speaker was being updated, but the update did NOT finish and it showed that the setup failed. When I re-attempted setup, the app (both iOS & MacOS) stated that the speaker was setup even though it wasn't. When I factory reset each speaker, the setup would still fail because the router was holding data to complete the original setup that had previously failed.

KEY ACTION: When your speaker setup fails, save yourself 3 hours by factoring resetting your speaker (plug in your speaker while holding the play button) and rebooting your router.

NOTE: "Version Unconfirmed" warning is apparently a meaningless advisory that will only confuse or discourage you. Sonos should fix this false warning.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Glad you got going. I know long waits right now on phone but probably saved us a lot of time going back and forth trying stuff.