Question

Using SONOS Play:1 in college dorm room

• 28 July 2014
  • 5 replies

Is it possible to bring my SONOS Play:1 with me to my college dorm room, using my laptop?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can hook Ethernet cable to laptop and it will work.
Userlevel 1
I know this is an old thread, but could you please elaborate. Does this mean to work in anything other than line-in mode, you'd need to connect the Play:1 to the computer each time? Anyone know if connecting an ethernet switch to the main ethernet jack (campus Internet network) and then wiring the Play:1 to that would work?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It might work. However you'll need to use your computer, also wired to the school network, to control it. Most school WiFi networks are separated from their wired networks, so with the speaker wired to the school network, you'll need to use your computer to control the speaker.

However, it's also entirely possible that your speaker could shut off your wired school network connection too. That would depend on how strict your school is on allowing network bridge devices to be connected to the network. Sonos devices use some low-level network management data to manage their own network, and some managed switches at schools (and large businesses) might be configured to turn off the port if it sees that kind of network management data.

Not all schools are set up that way though... so it might work, or it might not.
SOLUTION to problem:
BACKGROUND: My university provides a wifi network that is username and password protected. I own a SONOS play:1. Not sure if this technique works on other SONOS speakers; however, it may be worth the try.
WHAT YOU NEED: A computer running on windows 10 (results most likely achievable with a Mac)
WHAT TO DO: Using your computer go to , Settings->Network & Internet ->Mobile Hotspot. Toggle Share my internet connection with others to on. Click edit and set the Network band to 2.4 GHz. Choose a network name and password. Connect your mobile device to this network, and set up your sonos to communicate via this network.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I wasn't aware Windows 10 had a hotspot function (essentially making laptop a travel router). Pretty cool. Also gets you away from university rules against routers that many have.

Note: If it works like phones do the Windows Laptop then won't be able to be a controller. You would have to have your phone etc. connect to the hotspot to control the speaker.