Skip to main content

S1 doesn’t work, all my devices are down including Boost. Why is this happening thought I was dealing with a professional company that cared about customer service… Unfortunately that does’t seems to be the case. Been a happy customer since 2010 but a pioneering spirit seems to have been replaced with an eager for profit, Sadly. 

You joined the forum yesterday, and this is your only post. You haven’t even asked for help with your problem before trashing the company and its support, without even saying what channels you have explored.

Neither of my family iPhones are offering iOS 14.2 so it must be pretty damn new. Both Sonos apps work fine on our 14.1 devices.

If your phone jumped from iOS 13 to 14.2 then you’ll need to enable the “local network” entitlement, although if you had gone from 14.0 or 14.1 and the Sonos app already worked afterwards, that cannot be your issue.

While you wait for a more definitive reply, you can start by uninstalling the S1 app, rebooting your phone, then reinstalling S1. This should force the “local network” prompt and at least get that out of the way.

You are absolutely right. My comment was not at all fair and inappropriate. I am running on iOS 14.2 not sure why if been able to install that so early. Your suggestion worked perfectly so I am now able to use S1 again. Thank you very much for helping me out. 

Dear Sonos if you read this please accept my apologies and thank you for a great system.

Dear,

I also have issues after upgrade to iOS 14.2. Both on iPhone and iPad I cannot connect with Sonos S1 anymore.

I did not skip any upgrade.

The privacy setting for local network is allowed for Sonos.

I also already tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling… did not work.

My husband has iPhone on lower iOS and this still works

can you offer any help?

Dear,

I also have issues after upgrade to iOS 14.2. Both on iPhone and iPad I cannot connect with Sonos S1 anymore.

I did not skip any upgrade.

The privacy setting for local network is allowed for Sonos.

I also already tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling… did not work.

My husband has iPhone on lower iOS and this still works

can you offer any help?

If you uninstalled and re-installed the app did you (a) allow the local network access again and (b) did you select the option to “connect to the existing system” and if so, what was the message displayed?

Greetings all.  First off, I’m running 3 speakers: 

1 x One (Gen 2) and 2 x Play:1

I purchased the One (Gen 2) so that I could cast to it.  All has been fine and hunky-dorey. Yesterday, I was streaming some music from my iPad pro with no problems. Since yesterday, I DID NOT upgrade my iOS so I expect it was the same iOS yesterday as today. On my iPad, that is iOS 14.3.  Again, I’m certain I was running this version yesterday as well.  Today, the option to cast to Sonos does not appear on my iPad.  

My iPhone is iOS 14.2 and works just fine. 

I use a D-link range extender and again, all was well with casting until today. I cannot find the exact message I got when trying to join and working on a solution but it was something like: 

“One of the units is using a range extender. You must hardwire the speaker to a router” (I’m paraphrasing from memory, but that was the gist) 

It all boils down to the question of whether there is some issue with iOS 14.2 or 14.3 or if it’s just me or do I have to uninstall / re-install apps and softwares? Again, my phone is iOS 14.2 and works and casts fine (even with the range extenders)

Thanks for any guidance

/Bill C 

Continuing my previous post for clarity:

On the iPad there is a pull down menu from the upper right corner with the air-play options. Until yesterday, this window included my Sonos network. Now it does not see it at all. Without that, I cannot cast to the network.

Again, thanks for help

/bc

javaminit

I am just updating my iPad Pro to iOS v14.3 and will let you know. I assume when you say ‘casting’ you are referring to iOS ‘Airplaying’ to your devices as listed in the control centre device list (see attached screenshot example).

Meanwhile here is a general list of things to check to get Airplay working:

• Plug all devices into a wall outlet instead of using battery power
  • Restart all devices and try to AirPlay again
  • Toggle off Bluetooth, or if already off, try turning it on
  • Turn off Cellular Data
  • Disconnect from any other Bluetooth devices (like speakers)
  • Connect to the same WiFi network
  • Reset your network settings on your iDevice in Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings and then reconnect the device back to the local main WiFi signal
  • Update iOS, and speaker firmware/software
  • Move your devices away from other electronics
  • Renew your devices DHCP lease via the router configuration pages or reboot the router
  • Switch off any security software and VPN software installed on the broadcasting device

javaminit,
Ah sorry our posts crossed… I will check after the iOS update and come back to you shortly.

javaminit,
Airplay is still working okay here for me post update to iOS 14.3 on iPad Pro

I would try with the D-Link range extender powered off temporarily so that all devices are forced into connecting to the main routers WiFi signal… then switch the extender back on afterwards. See if that fixes it. 

Thanks for the posts Ken. Yes, I should be using the term ‘Airplay’.  I’m thinking that this is an IOS issue. 

I can play to my Sonos speakers directly from the Sonos app. But it seems to me that the problem with this app is that Sonos has it locked down to only allow the streaming sources it approves.  I purchased the Sonos One (Gen 2) to allow me to Airplay other music sources. It has been excellent and I’ve had no problems until now.

So I can play to the speakers through the Sonos app but just not the AirPlay. There is no reference to the Sonos network when I pull down the menu from the upper right corner. That’s what leads me to think it is a snag in the latest update of either Sonos or the iOS update to 14.3.

I will continue to persevere but this sort of nonsense frustrates me to no end. 

Thx

Bill C

Me again Ken - I think you’ve cracked it. I did the unplug of the speakers and the network reset.
The speakers now show up on AirPlay. 
many thanks and stay safe. Mask-up!

/ Bill C