Skip to main content
So I live on a military base and I use base wifi and I have trouble updating my play 1. I can't just go connect to a router and update that way I only have wireless with no router of any sort to access. How would I go about updating my play 1
Why do you need to update it, assuming it works ok just now?
I just bought my play 1 and I hooked it up and everything but it won't let me play music off of it currently and I figured it's because it won't update
Hi Hernandez

Are you saying that during the initial setup you get a message (in the app) that reads "updating Sonos" and later you get a message that reads "update timed out or unsuccessful" ? Please elaborate.

Cheers!
So it says it is in my list of speakers but it won't actually connect to it. I feel like it's because I try to update and it tells me I have a error code 1101 and I feel like it causes me not to be able to use my speaker at all
Hi Hernandez1074

Here's a link that addresses error code 1101. There are two supposed solutions.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/error-1101-6001194

Other Possible causes...

1. Do you have the correct "password" (credentials) to connect to Wi-Fi?
  2. Are you connecting to the Base main Wi-Fi or a guest network? If the latter therein lies a problem.
  3. As a Wi-Fi client Sonos may not be allowed onto the Base Wi-Fi.
  4. If number 3 you may have to invest in a travel router and use your cell service to connect it to the internet.
  5. Click the link for an examples of a travel router: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=travel+router&crid=QGUH0YRCOZ4W&sprefix=travel+router%2Caps%2C149&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_13

Let us know how things sort out. Cheers!
Yes I have the correct wifi and password and what's a travel router?
Like I ssaw the link but what's it exactly do and all
A travel router connects to the internet via your cell service (Hotspot). The router then allows internet access that is not affiliated with the base. The router also generates a Wi-Fi signal. If you acquire a travel router make sure it broadcasts 2.4Ghz (required) as well as 5.0Ghz.

Cheers!
A travel router connects to any WiFi signal, it is not a hotspot. Because you can control it from your PC/laptop device, you can use it to log in to networks that have login pages, as needed. And then it creates a network for you to connect your devices to, basically passing the original WiFi connection to your own WiFi network. Since the majority of these travel routers have a Ethernet port on them, you would then be able to wire your Sonos speaker to ‘your’ network, and pass the appropriate information from the controller to the Sonos speaker. You could tell the speaker the original network information, or you could keep the travel router running and maintain your own network, with all the additional security that provides.
@Airgetlam

i was was not saying that a travel router is a HotSpot. I was Saying that a travel router can connect to the internet via a cell phone HotSpot.

I suggested the cell connection because the military base may be blocking connections that have not been previously vetted.

How would you have worded my response?

Cheers!
@AjTrek1

The way way I read your statement, it seemed like the implication was that a travel router could only connect to a hotspot, and not any WiFi compatible WiFi signal. Since the OP is using the base’s signal, and not a cell service hotspot, it seemed potentially confusing to reference something not part of the issue. The travel route could connect directly to the base’s signal, much as it has for many members in connecting to a hotel’s WiFi signal.

But you’re absolutely correct, it does come down to the base’s IT structure, and whether they allow travel router connections.

I just wanted to be sure that others who may be reading this thread don’t assume that travel routers only connect to hotspots.