Skip to main content

The most recent Sonos update means that I can no longer update my music library, which sits on a Windows 7 disk, and Sonos are no longer maintaining the Windows 7 app. I still have the library so I won’t do any more updating of my Sonos products but is there any other way that I can update the library given that I can’t rollback the update? (I do think it’s **** that Sonos can knacker my expensive system with updates. Apart from costing my pocket, it’s very wasteful of the Earth’s resources. There ought to be a law and soon there might be in the EU and UK.)

What error message are you getting?

The most recent Sonos update means that I can no longer update my music library, which sits on a Windows 7 disk, and Sonos are no longer maintaining the Windows 7 app. I still have the library so I won’t do any more updating of my Sonos products but is there any other way that I can update the library given that I can’t rollback the update? (I do think it’s **** that Sonos can knacker my expensive system with updates. Apart from costing my pocket, it’s very wasteful of the Earth’s resources. There ought to be a law and soon there might be in the EU and UK.)

S1 supports Win 7.

Which program are you using to maintain your library? The library tracks are simply files. You can add/delete/modify tracks with any W7 compatible program on your computer or network device that has access to your library files.

Using any SONOS controller you can “Update Music Index Now” and incorporate the changes.

I’m using the Sonos Controller app for PC, version 13.2, build 64319080. The update music library now option is greyed out.

It’s impossible to maintain a Sonos system any more with just a desktop controller - even if it were on the latest Windows 10.  So you must have a mobile controller, or need one.  In which case, what is the problem with @buzz ‘s suggestion to use another controller?

Further thought.  If you are still on S1, then the most likely reason for the greyed out option is that you have updated your app to the latest S1 version, but not the system, or vice versa.

PaulJones,

The current version is 13.3. Make sure that all of your players and controllers have been updated. “Greyed Out” usually implies that there is a version mismatch between the unit(s) and controller(s) in your system.

Sonos have removed support for Windows 7 - it says this every time I launch the app. The problem started when I upgraded all the Sonos units just a couple of days ago. But the disk with my music is on a Windows 7 box so I can’t see how I can update the library except from the Windows machine. They should have warned me before letting me upgrade. Sonos have knobbled my system by refusing to allow me to continue running the controller on Windows 7. I don’t want to spend a load of money upgrading. For what? There appear to be few enhancements with Windows 10. I used to love my Sonos because it was good and innovative kit. Now I hate the company because their business model is to continually tweak the system so that any kit you buy needs upgrading. This is so wasteful of the planet’s resources and crippling to my pocket. I wish some third party open source project would give us parallel software to run our hardware independently. Do Sonos release developer’s SDKs? I bet they don’t.

You have misunderstood.  You cannot use the desktop controller for PC (if you are on S2 and Windows 7, a pretty rare combination) but the library music files can sit on any PC connected to your network.  The Windows OS is irrelevant to that.  Your eco-rant is totally misinformed and misplaced.

Sonos has needed a mobile app for system management for years.

It is nonsense to suggest that Sonos’ business model involves getting people to buy newer versions of products made by other companies.  For goodness’ sake please THINK before you write. 

How do I update the system from the mobile app?

Settings, System, Music Library.

Ok found it. It works. Thanks John B

OK.  I’m glad it’s sorted.

Just one other question: Why Windows 7 for your PC, as this is out of support from Microsoft and is therefore a security risk?

If Sonos did support Windows 7, I’m sure that they would be getting more complaints about encouraging users to use an unsupported and therefore inherently insecure OS….