Skip to main content

My sonos speakers disappeared for the S2 app.

At no stage in restarting the speakers did it ever say that I was going to lose my playlist and this is absolutely unacceptable. In my research just now I see that this is an ongoing issue since 2013. It is unacceptable that this isn't published and that I can't get my playlists back. In fact there is also no way of backing up playlist on Android. This is a big viability gap in your products and it seems you just choose not to address it. It seems as this issue is 5 years old that rather than  look after the substantial investment your clients making your systems you choose to ignore it. For what purpose ?
. Don't get me wrong I love the Sonos sound system and it's quality and can recommended on that basis -  however this issue of continually losing playlists and favourites is a show stopper.
The viability of your product is in question for me and many others.
 The product is not sold with the understanding the playlist , favourites cannot be saved or backed or restored.

We have nearly $3000 aud invested

This may be an issue under Australian consumer law. 

I am investigating my options and will be complaining. Why the hell arnt the playlists backed up to my sonos account or me given an option to back them up myself for android. Mmmmmmm.......I am an it professional. 

If you did a Factory Reset without first consulting with Sonos - something they directly advise against - I don’t feel too sorry for you.

Aside from selling a speaker there are very few situations where a Factory Reset is the solution. Even then as long as you don’t Factory Reset all of your Sonos speakers at the same time you’ll not erase your play lists.

Here is the Sonos Support article on Factory Resetting, the warning is clear.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US

Resetting all products within your system will permanently delete your system’s data. It cannot be restored.

You said you 'restarted' your speakers. Nothing is lost by restarting. 

If you factory reset that is different.  Factory resets of whole Sonos systems are unnecessary and as @Stanley_4 says,  the warnings are clear.

Hey what is your folks problem. If you cant help dont post.

So issue is I want sonos to create a backup option for playlists etc ON ANDROID.

Very Simple. 

So issue is I want sonos to create a backup option for playlists etc ON ANDROID.

Very Simple. 

Why Android?  Playlists and favourites aren’t stored on the mobile device, but on the speakers.  Your request does not make sense.

I believe it is legitimate for us to post on here a warning about the pointlessness and dangers of factory resetting.  I was also genuinely uncertain about whether you had reset and lost everything  ‘My sonos speakers disappeared from the S2 app’ does not mean anything has been lost.

There might be a case for an export of a playlist, but there are additional challenges around that, indicating where each song is being streamed from, since a playlist can consist of content from any streamer. It would be much easier if Sonos actually imported music itself, rather than just using a file full of pointers to other sources.

Might be easy if the user only used one streaming source, but it would be hard to explain to a user that you could only export playlists from one source, and not playlists that contained a mix of streams and local music. 

It would be much easier if Sonos actually imported music itself, rather than just using a file full of pointers to other sources.

You don’t mean that, surely. Sonos has no bulk storage, and besides online sources are DRM protected.

A queue (or Sonos playlist) is by definition just ‘a file full of pointers’.

No, I don’t, I was just trying to point out the challenges involved for the OP. 

OP I don't get your threats about consumer law etc, but about backing up the sonos system settings (playlists etc) I do agree there should be a way to do this. 

Hi folks thank you for your replies and suggestions.

simple point is that I can do my Sonos favourites and save songs to Sonos and I can render them onto my Android screen to see them to pick them. so why can't we get a text dump the content of those renders......

so why can't we get a text dump the content of those renders......

I’m guessing since Sonos has been silent on the backup/restore topic as far back (2006) as I can recall.

My guesses:

Because it is rarely needed, since the data is rarely if ever lost by the system.

Because they clearly warn NOT to do a Factory Reset thus erasing your data, without consulting them first.

Evwah,

The SONOS library is backed up, but not in a way that you could get your hands on the data. A copy of the library index and all music service setups is stored in each player. If a single player is Factory Reset or fails, the other players still have a full copy and the Factory Reset or replacement player will be updated when added to the system. Of course, if your system consists of a single player, a failure or Factory Reset will trash the library index.

so why can't we get a text dump the content of those renders......

I’m guessing since Sonos has been silent on the backup/restore topic as far back (2006) as I can recall.

My guesses:

Because it is rarely needed, since the data is rarely if ever lost by the system.

Because they clearly warn NOT to do a Factory Reset thus erasing your data, without consulting them first.

Rarely lost does not mean never ;)

Sonos does support the s1toS2/s2tos1 feature and this carries a level of risk of data loss and depending on the situation might actually require it.  Theres a whole host of other scenarios where a data backup would be helpful. 

I guess sonos would need to prioritize adding new features to the app which as long as I've been an owner has been lower than low imo.1

Found this is the in the community something like this is needed now but I'm not programmable quality person to get this working.

http://blog.travelmarx.com/2011/01/?m=1

It provides the drop-down lists see image in blog.