Skip to main content

I currently have following setup:

Playbase, Sub, 2x Play 3 for movie and music. All speakers combined to a surround set.

I want to change the old play 3 with new 2 x Sonos Five for better sound for music. And I want to use these speaker as well as surround speakers in the rear of the room.

That means all Speakers (Playbase, Sub and Sonos Five as Sourround Set.

The Sonos Five can play Ultra HD streamed from Amazon.

Does I will have also this quality when I use the Speaker together with the other speakers? Or need I separat the Sonos Five from the other to get the full resolution.

The Playbase will limit the Amazon Music stream to HD, irrespective of the surrounds, as the Playbase is not capable of playing Ultra HD.

You will only get Ultra HD if you remove the Fives as surrounds and only play to the stereo pair of Fives.

If you then grouped the Play:3’s with the Five stereo pair then again the stream would be limited to HD as Play:3s can’t play Ultra HD. 

I’d be surprised if you can actually tell the difference between HD and Ultra HD, therefore, having the Fives ‘only’ play in HD if used as surrounds, or if grouped with other speakers is not really a problem.

Many thanks.

I thought that, but had a little hope.

Your right. I believe also that the difference between HD and Ultra HD is big on paper and less in listening.

Many thanks.

I thought that, but had a little hope.

Your right. I believe also that the difference between HD and Ultra HD is big on paper and less in listening.

Correct.  The difference is actual zero as far as your ears are concerned.

There’s a lot of marketing dollars spent yearly to convince you otherwise, though :)