turning off sonos app on android

• 13 February 2013
  • 20 replies

'leaving' used to be my method of exiting the sonos controller app. With version 4.0 there is no obvious way to turn off the controller...can someone help?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

I have the exact same question. There isn't a clean way to leave the controller. I've had to shut down all rooms to leave.
I have also had problems with losing different rooms whenever I turn the controller off then back on ever since the new update.
Can't exit cleanly on either my nexus 7 or htc one s. Only solution seems to be settings > apps > running > sonos > stop notification service. 😞
Same problem here - on Galaxy s2 and Nexus7, Sonos controller appears to be permanently running in the background since last update. Switching wifi off gets rid of the notification icon but it comes back on when wifi re-enabled. There should be an option to exit completely and stop the software from running in the background all the time. Either that or the notification icon is 'faulty'
Has anyone found an answer to this problem???
However, if you are looking to quit the application completely, then you may want to check if you have notifications on, as this will keep the Sonos application on and active. To turn off notifications for Sonos, go into the Sonos App >Settings>Advanced settings. Turn off notifications. Turn the phone off completely and then power it back on.
Userlevel 2
For anyone following this, the approach above seems to have fixed this for me. Good call, User484148!
well, I actually had to ask support and they sent that to me...wish I could claim it!
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hello, This has already been discussed in this thread but I wanted to chime in case anyone missed it. In order to close the Sonos application for Android, the notifications need to be turned off. The following Answer goes over disabling the notifications: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1929/kw/notifications
Userlevel 2
Greg, I had the same issue, but was able solve based on the instructions in this thread. You just need to go into the Sonos app settings and turn "off" the notifications. Give that a shot - worked for me.
Userlevel 2
Badge
so if I don't want sonos to hog resources when not in use I need to go into app settings and disable notifications... then, when I turn on the app, I need to go again to settings and enable notifications, otherwise the notification widget with quick controls won't show. is this a "solution"? why can't the app just be closed, left, departed, whatever, so it leaves my phone alone when not in use? and when in use, have full functionality available without the user having to go into settings to toggle it on and off?
Badge +18
Hello everyone, Sonos software version 4.1 is currently in open beta and as part of the upgrade, we've changed the behavior of the app process according to some of the requests in this thread (there are a number of new features too). Everyone is welcome to participate in the beta and upgrade to this new software version. On software version 4.1, when leaving the Sonos app by backing out of it entirely (and confirming the exit), the process will no longer run in the background unless you are also running the Sonos widget. This should return the behavior of the app back to pre-version 4.0 behavior. You can find more information on software version 4.1 and sign up to participate in the beta here: http://beta.sonos.com
Userlevel 3
Hello everyone, Sonos software version 4.1 is currently in open beta and as part of the upgrade, we've changed the behavior of the app process according to some of the requests in this thread (there are a number of new features too). Everyone is welcome to participate in the beta and upgrade to this new software version. On software version 4.1, when leaving the Sonos app by backing out of it entirely (and confirming the exit), the process will no longer run in the background unless you are also running the Sonos widget. This should return the behavior of the app back to pre-version 4.0 behavior. You can find more information on software version 4.1 and sign up to participate in the beta here: http://beta.sonos.com
Awesome, I'll def check it out. Thanks for listening and addressing this pretty quickly.
It'd be great if there was a quit option in the menus as well. Its quite tiresome having to back through 100 screens to get the app to exit.
you can also use Titanium Backup software and use their freeze/defrost/launch app widget... This will basically give you a touchbutton that will completely uninstall the app from your system between uses, but preserve all your settings.
you can also use Titanium Backup software and use their freeze/defrost/launch app widget... This will basically give you a touchbutton that will completely uninstall the app from your system between uses, but preserve all your settings.
you need a rooted device for this....
Hmm why do you have to tap the back key meny times then it ask to close the app. Why not just tap menu and exit? Please make it Sonos 🙂
When I stop music, and back out of Sonos (ie, Leave and verify), the app should be closed, and NOT show up in my notification bar on my Galaxy S3.  I then have to go to the notification bar, and press STOP.  And YES, I have Notifications OFF in the Sonos settings!  This is a bug....please fix it!!
So, 5 years later, the app is closing well when the wifi is off, but when it's on, I'd like the Notification Controller to start automatically. It used to do that a long while back - there is no setting to do this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, krisa. This is a fairly old topic now as you are aware. With regards to your suggestion, I will be sure to forward it to the necessary department. Do let us know if you need anything else by starting a new thread, as I will now close this one. Many thanks.