Skip to main content

Why am I getting advertising (an ad) when I turn on my radio using TuneIn?

Hi @MFCaravaggio.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community. I totally understand where you're coming from and I’m here to help.

Are you using a Premium subscription for TuneIn?

If you're using a Premium subscription already but still getting some advertisement this might be related to TuneIn it self click here.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

I don’t believe you can even use TuneIn Premium on Sonos.

TuneIn is free on Sonos, and someone has to pay for it somehow, so they insert ads into some streams.

Ok thank you.  Is there another way to get AM or FM radio on Sonos (without advertising)?

Ok thank you.  Is there another way to get AM or FM radio on Sonos (without advertising)?

There are several other radio station aggregators, such as Sonos Radio, Radio.com and iHeartRadio. Probably others, depending on your geographic location.

If there’s a station you particularly want you can probably add its stream directly to your Sonos system (using the desktop controller).

But no service is ultimately free, they have to pay bills. So even if one if those currently isn’t inserting ads into a stream, they’ll do it sooner or later. The only way to ensure that you only get the specific radio station’s ads, and no there’s, is to add the stream manually, as explained in the setting up an internet radio station FAQ. 

Hello,

Since some time, I experienced also these Adds problem with TuneIn (with S1 and more with S2).

These ads depend on the DNS proxies that you use in your router. If it is USA, you have US ads, if it is France for example, you have French ads.

These disturbing ads are not only when you first open your TuneIn link but also when there are episodes of real ads during the radio emission, they also start just after the “real” ads…

To get rid of these ads, switch to myTuner radio, which is available in Sonos menu, and it works (for the moment) without any ads.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2649?language=sv