Trueplay for Android users

• 31 January 2024
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

This might be a workaround for some Android users to get Trueplay without having to borrow an iPhone.   Not an inexpensive workaround, so it's up to your own cost/benefit analysis.   Buy the cheapest iPad you can find.  I found a discontinued model on sale.  It works for Trueplay and has now become my sonos controller.   It sure was a lot cheaper and less hassle than switching to iPhone.  Plus, I get to dip my toes in the Apple waters FWIW. 

Hope this helps someone.   

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Which gen iPad did you buy and how much did it cost?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The problem with buying older Apple gear is that it drops out of support and is useless. I have bought my last Apple device, when it goes out of support I’ll probably give up on Trueplay.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

The problem with buying older Apple gear is that it drops out of support and is useless. I have bought my last Apple device, when it goes out of support I’ll probably give up on Trueplay.

This is an issue with all electronics though innit? I mean you  can still run the latest s2 controller and true play on iPhones and iPads from 2015, but if you bought a connect or connect amp in 2015 it might be S1 only or conflicted with the out of memory/damaged memory thing 🤣

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

10.2 inch 9th gen with 64GB for $250.  Not exactly cheap, but considerably cheaper than switching to iPhone. 

This is an issue with all electronics though innit? I mean you  can still run the latest s2 controller and true play on iPhones and iPads from 2015, but if you bought a connect or connect amp in 2015 it might be S1 only or conflicted with the out of memory/damaged memory thing 🤣

Touche?!

I have always found it surprising and even funny to witness the hate for Apple here from the Sonos faithful; Sonos being a company that has copied Apple in everything from packaging/product design to being a closed system. I am not an Apple fan, but I use Apple when it works better for me than the alternatives.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

10.2 inch 9th gen with 64GB for $250.  Not exactly cheap, but considerably cheaper than switching to iPhone. 

That’s a good buy imo. 10th gen ipads are a big jump in price over 9th - and 9th gen will get updates and Sonos app support for a long time. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I too use Apple when I have too, but ever since they nearly cost me a job with nasty upgrade tricks I’ve taken my business elsewhere when I can.

I do wonder what the reason behind Sonos not offering other Truyeplay device options is.

I do wonder what the reason behind Sonos not offering other Truyeplay device options is.

The reason given by Sonos is that the Sonos fanboys reviled Apple for being a closed system evil monolith is that being such, the variety of phone mic hardware that Sonos has to work with as part of the Trueplay process is much less compared to the free spirited world of Android phones. Being made by a PC like philosophy, there are many makers of Android phones, using mic hardware that is all over the place in terms of its variety, that is too much for Sonos to spend time and money on to accommodate all of them in Trueplay. 

I don’t know enough of the facts behind this claim to call it out as false, but there is clearly some irony there.

And of course, Sonos behaving like Apple is a big reason why I moved to Echo devices for use as smart front ends to all five of my zones, that happened to have line in jacks on all the Sonos kit there that is now relegated to dumb roles in the music delivery chain.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I didn’t say anything about supporting multiple Android platforms, that topic has been beat to death, propped back up and beat some more.

My suggestion was a USB microphone, one that would plug into any device that can run the Controller App, regardless of brand, and not need to use the device’s internal mike. As a side benefit Sonos would no longer have to support the multiple Apple internal microphones either, just the USB one and ones built into Sonos devices.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

The reason given by Sonos is that the Sonos fanboys reviled Apple for being a closed system evil monolith is that being such, the variety of phone mic hardware that Sonos has to work with as part of the Trueplay process is much less compared to the free spirited world of Android phones. Being made by a PC like philosophy, there are many makers of Android phones, using mic hardware that is all over the place in terms of its variety, that is too much for Sonos to spend time and money on to accommodate all of them in Trueplay. 

I don’t know enough of the facts behind this claim to call it out as false, but there is clearly some irony there.

And of course, Sonos behaving like Apple is a big reason why I moved to Echo devices for use as smart front ends to all five of my zones, that happened to have line in jacks on all the Sonos kit there that is now relegated to dumb roles in the music delivery chain.

Sonos also limit true play with the amp to their own speakers, trueplay cant cope with third party speakers is the story.  But people who hack the $100 Sonos ikea speakers and hook up their own passive speakers have shown true play works quite well with random passive speakers. It’s bs imo. 

It’s bs imo. 

It isn't a priority I think and may never get done; I suspect like all other makes, Sonos is going the way of speakers being self tuning to the room to get to the same or at least similar outcomes of trueplay.