Answered

trueplay for Android?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

135 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Did you seriously just call iOS a niche product. It has been extensively explained hay android devices have too many different microphones to be able to support.

Why don't you buy a discounted obsolete iOS device or get one from a person trashing to setup your trueplay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
..and before you say they could certify high sales versions. Sonos stated they tried that and there was tremendous variation in the microphone between phones even of the same model. Android suppliers have tended to use too many various vendors to supply parts.
Sonos needs to add support for Android for its Truplay feature. IOS is becoming an increasingfly more niche player in the market and will continue to see its share decline. You can't tell me that there aren't Android models available that offer as good or better audio detection capabilities. Sonos could list an approved, even if a beginning small subset of supported handsets, or even issue a caveat, use at own risk. Currently I own a Pixel handset by Google. Its far and away the best phone I've used or compared against, I hate to see Sonos paint themselves in a corner by supporting only a IOS. Its not the best for their own future. Heck, I love the Sonos product line, but if I were starting from scratch, I might just purchase a Google Home, some Chromecast Audio devices and pick the speakers I want to use. The Google Home with Chromevast Audio functions much like Sonos. And its barely getting off the ground. Sonos will have to up their game to stay extremely competitive, This doesn't entail only backing a one trick pony like IOS.

In the investment world it's no secret that Sonos have been guilty of falling asleep for the last few years, and resting on their laurels a bit while everyone else has played catch up. Their unique selling point is no-longer unique, and that's a big problem for Sonos.

Sonos have been cutting jobs and shares have plummeted in recent years. It isn't a good scenario for the company.

The suspicion is that they simply can't afford the resources to develop for Android.

Amazon Echo technology / Google Chromecast + Bluetooth speakers is pretty much leaving Sonos in the shadows.
..and before you say they could certify high sales versions. Sonos stated they tried that and there was tremendous variation in the microphone between phones even of the same model. Android suppliers have tended to use too many various vendors to supply parts.

That's a poppycock excuse because the microphones in various iOS devices are not the same either.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So you tested huh?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They are different between devices but the same within each model - that is the difference no matter what you want to hear.
Knowles Electronics, AAC, Analog Devices, Goertek etc all supply microphones to iOS devices....they certainly don't always use the same components; manufacturing doesn't work that way. It's dependent on supply chains, availability and stock. Half of them are even rebadged and there's no way to know the originating manufacturer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You seem to know a lot more than Sonos who actually tested devices in their lab for more than a year.

In the investment world it's no secret that Sonos have been guilty of falling asleep for the last few years, and resting on their laurels a bit while everyone else has played catch up. Their unique selling point is no-longer unique, and that's a big problem for Sonos.

Sonos have been cutting jobs and shares have plummeted in recent years. It isn't a good scenario for the company.

The suspicion is that they simply can't afford the resources to develop for Android.

Amazon Echo technology / Google Chromecast + Bluetooth speakers is pretty much leaving Sonos in the shadows.

Shares plummeting? Sonos is privately held.

And I thought you sold your Sonos. Why are you still stalking your ex-girlfriend?

Shares? Sonos is a privately held company. They have no shares. Care to try again?

Privately held companies still have shares, they are just traded privately. Sheesh.

Privately held companies still have shares, they are just traded privately. Sheesh.

So, no answer for why you are still stalking your ex-girlfriend? She's over you, dude. Let it go. 🙂

Shares plummeting? Sonos is privately held.

And I thought you sold your Sonos. Why are you still stalking your ex-girlfriend?

I sold my Sonos "home theatre" setup but kept my Play 1's.

Try again.

I sold my Sonos "home theatre" setup but kept my Play 1's.

Try again.

So you are staying with the girl you hate? Wow, it's worse than I thought.
[quote=jgatie]

I still have Sonos speakers - the 7 update piqued my interest and I actually came here looking for reviews (amongst other places). But all I can find is people complaining about

No Android support
No iPhone 7 support
No ability for users to control channels themselves (still)
No ability to play Spotify Podcasts (still)

So basically confirmed my logic in selling it 🙂
"Control channels themselves"? What the H-E-Double Hockey Sticks are you talking about?

"Spotify Podcasts"? Sonos just made it possible to play any and all content thorough the Spotify app, including podcasts. Seems to me that this is something the version 7.0 release specifically fixed.

And Trueplay has never been possible on Android. You missed a "(still)". And none of your complaints (the ones that actually make sense, that is) are unique to the Playbar aka the "home theatre"setup". So I ask again, why exactly are you staying with the girlfriend you seem to hate?
"Control channels themselves"? What the H-E-Double Hockey Sticks are you talking about?

"Spotify Podcasts"? Sonos just made it possible to play any and all content thorough the Spotify app, including podcasts. Seems to me that this is something the version 7.0 release specifically fixed.

And Trueplay has never been possible on Android. You missed a "(still)". And none of your complaints (the ones that actually make sense, that is) are unique to the Playbar aka the "home theatre" setup". So I ask again, why exactly are you staying with the girlfriend you seem to hate?

Haha, you are such an angry little fella.

http://gph.is/28KIquk

I'm not the one ranting and raving and posting nonsense. Maybe you should go listen to some Spotify Podcasts on your Play:1s. I suggest this one:

https://open.spotify.com/album/3eBl7X8lHJbeW2LNjanLYC

I'm not the one ranting and raving and posting nonsense. Maybe you should go listen to some Spotify Podcasts on your Play:1s. I suggest this one:

https://open.spotify.com/album/3eBl7X8lHJbeW2LNjanLYC

You are, as ever, clearly getting irate at those users highlighting missing features; the funny thing is this...despite 11 thousand posts (dude, do you have a life?) you still obviously don't understand Sonos. Lol.

You are, as ever, clearly getting irate at those users highlighting missing features; the funny thing is this...despite 11 thousand posts (dude, do you have a life?) you still obviously don't understand Sonos. Lol.

So are you saying Sonos doesn't support Spotify Podcasts over Spotify Direct Control as of yesterday? Better tell all those folks playing Spotify Podcasts on their Sonos speakers. And you are mistaking mirth for anger. I'm not angry at you, I find you quite amusing! :D

And my 11k posts are over 9 years, about 3 or so a day. You've shotgunned more than that in the last hour!

But seriously, I'd really like to know what you mean by "Control channels themselves". It's got me flummoxed.

So are you saying Sonos doesn't support Spotify Podcasts over Spotify Direct Control as of yesterday? Better tell all those folks playing Spotify Podcasts on their Sonos speakers. And you are mistaking mirth for anger. I'm not angry at you, I find you quite amusing! :D

You know it's cute how you ignore all the other things you can't answer, like the lack of ability to control surround channels in the playbar, despite users begging Sonos for the feature since the dawn of time. Or the lack of iPhone 7 support...

It's like a little sister defending her big brother

Cute

And my 11k posts are over 9 years, about 3 or so a day. You've shotgunned more than that in the last hour!

But seriously, I'd really like to know what you mean by "Control channels themselves". It's got me flummoxed.

So you've been doing this for 9 years of you life? Idle banter aside, that's unhealthy.

So you've been doing this for 9 years of you life? Idle banter aside, that's unhealthy.

Why? I like the product, I like helping people, and I have a job with a lot of down time. Isn't it far more unhealthy to spend time venting frustrations over a product that you do not like, yet refuse to sell or otherwise get rid of? If ever came the day where my dislike of Sonos rose to the levels you seem to have reached, I would sell it on ebay and never step foot in this forum again. That, in my mind, would be healthy.

But again, seriously, (and to get away from your ignorant and off-topic personal attacks), I'd like to know what you mean by "Control channels themselves". Please explain.
This is a shame, when we see the price of the product, I don't have an iPhone, can't use this new stuff....
At least make it work on the most famouse android phone like the nexus/pixel series !!!
This is a shame, when we see the price of the product, I don't have an iPhone, can't use this new stuff....
At least make it work on the most famouse android phone like the nexus/pixel series !!!

The 10 top selling Android phones:

http://www.appbrain.com/stats/top-android-phones

All made by Samsung. The Google phone is not even on the chart. If anything, they should trying to support the Samsung series, but as stated, even those models have too many variances between microphones for the project to be practical.

Why? I like the product, I like helping people, and I have a job with a lot of down time. Isn't it far more unhealthy to spend time venting frustrations over a product that you do not like, yet refuse to sell or otherwise get rid of? If ever came the day where my dislike of Sonos rose to the levels you seem to have reached, I would sell it on ebay and never step foot in this forum again. That, in my mind, would be healthy.

But again, seriously, (and to get away from your ignorant and off-topic personal attacks), I'd like to know what you mean by "Control channels themselves". Please explain.

But unlike other Sonos forum regulars you don't help people, you attack and (try to) belittle anyone that shows dissatisfaction with their Sonos product. Your post history demonstrates this.

You actually do the community a disservice.

As for finding out what a sound channel is, use Google. Hint: The Playbar has 3 of them, even though the app can now adjust them to what it thinks is optimum, the user has no control - which is a frustration.

My interest in going back and forth explaining everything to you has wained, and unlike you I have more important things to be doing.