Answered

trueplay for Android?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

135 replies

Is there perhaps a way to use the speakers themselves to test/calibrate the microphone on individual phones since the Sonos speaker sound is not a variable thing? I'd be willing to pay for a plug in microphone if Sonos is unable to make it work by other means. I will probably begrudgingly use my girlfriends iPhone to calibrate the speakers we have and won't need to re-calibrate for a long time afterwards but it does make me sad there is a shiny new feature I don't get to use on my own phone.
Is there perhaps a way to use the speakers themselves to test/calibrate the microphone on individual phones since the Sonos speaker sound is not a variable thing? I'd be willing to pay for a plug in microphone if Sonos is unable to make it work by other means. I will probably begrudgingly use my girlfriends iPhone to calibrate the speakers we have and won't need to re-calibrate for a long time afterwards but it does make me sad there is a shiny new feature I don't get to use on my own phone.

Whilst the speaker should be a known quantity the room isn't, so there's no way of knowing how the room is affecting the signal until you've adjusted the output to allow for the room effects, which is of course, exactly what Trueplay is doing in the first place...
Badge
I didn't realise after spending over £3000 filling my house with Sonos sound that future development depended on running it for best experience from an Apple product. I certainly wouldn't have wasted my money on this stuff. How disappointing. Its not rocket science to develop a few core products or even a unified controller app. Samsung have managed it with their adapt sound. Come on Sonos you can do better....
btw I have a Samsung Galaxy note 5 :)

In the meantime does trueplay just require a once off set up and in future does not need an apple thing to run? I could always embarrassingly ask to borrow my mates iphone.
Did you actually read the thread, particularly the official answer? Android devices have huge variability in their microphone characteristics.

After the £3000 spend I'd suggest you simply invest an extra 5% in an iPod Touch 6th generation. In the old days people would often spend multiple times that on exotic cables...
I could always embarrassingly ask to borrow my mates iphone.
Do that, it is a one time requirement unless you change the location or configuration. Toggling it on/off later at any time does not need the apple device.
Badge
I could always embarrassingly ask to borrow my mates iphone.
Do that, it is a one time requirement unless you change the location or configuration. Toggling it on/off later at any time does not need the apple device.

thanks for your helpful answer....:8
Badge
ECM8000 + Blue Icicle + Calibration File + ARTA I already have a calibrated RTA setup, why can't the Sonos PC app use that?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
ECM8000 + Blue Icicle + Calibration File + ARTA I already have a calibrated RTA setup, why can't the Sonos PC app use that?

Possibly because only you and the bloke that works down the chip shop in my village are the only people in the World with that setup?
Badge
Possibly because only you and the bloke that works down the chip shop in my village are the only people in the World with that setup?

LOL, so true. I come from auto sound competition, and I used this setup for tuning. There are not many of us SQ auto enthusiasts left it seems.

Regardless, Sonos doesn't even have to support my RTA. Just give me the knobs (Eq, parametric eq, delay, crossover, gain, etc.) and I can fend for myself!

Then, should anyone want to use a setup like this to tune Sonos, the barrier to entry for it is very low. Dare I say cheaper, more accurate, and better granularity than what Sonos could sell a dedicated unit.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
"We will continue to explore the use of Android for Trueplay tuning, but can't confirm that it will be supported in the future."

Any new on progress on this front please?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
"We will continue to explore the use of Android for Trueplay tuning, but can't confirm that it will be supported in the future."

Any new on progress on this front please?

No news right now. But we'll let you know if anything comes up.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Thank-you Ryan.

This important to a very large number of loyal Sonos users.
Badge
Wow, I'm very disappointed Sonos doesn't support TruePlay on Android devices. I just bought two Play:3's and two Play:5's only to find out it's an iOS only feature? Not acceptable. Glad I bought from Amazon - all 4 are getting returned.
Not acceptable.
What, that microphone characteristics in Android devices are so variable? I agree, but there's nothing Sonos can do about that.

all 4 are getting returned.

Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater. If they're PLAY:1s especially so, since at present there are reports of issues which mean some folks leave Trueplay disabled.

Anyway, just borrow an iDevice to tune them. It's a one-time exercise unless you move the speakers to another location.
I'm a new Sonos customers and have so far been very impressed with the product. One of the selling points however was the ability to use Trueplay and adapt sound to my environment. I'm very disappointed to find that Sonos doesn't support Trueplay for Android users.

I understand that the variation in Android devices makes it harder to develop software across the board but many other companies have achieved just this. Sonos has a reputation as a quality brand and I would expect it to be working hard to offer the same service to all its customers. Not giving any attempt at a roll out date for android is frustrating. Are they just not going to bother? It would be nice to let their customer's know!
I'm a new Sonos customers and have so far been very impressed with the product. One of the selling points however was the ability to use Trueplay and adapt sound to my environment. I'm very disappointed to find that Sonos doesn't support Trueplay for Android users.

I understand that the variation in Android devices makes it harder to develop software across the board but many other companies have achieved just this. Sonos has a reputation as a quality brand and I would expect it to be working hard to offer the same service to all its customers. Not giving any attempt at a roll out date for android is frustrating. Are they just not going to bother? It would be nice to let their customer's know!

What makes you think they're not working hard at it? The fact that they won't give a date for this should tell you just how big the problems are with doing this. It may even be the case that it isn't possible for them to achieve this. And I don't believe anyone else has produced an android app that attempts to do anything like this. Av receiver manufacturers offer remote control apps, but they still supply a dedicated microphone for the auto-calibration process.
Sonos can hardly be accused of deception on this issue. http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/trueplay-speaker-tuning-software says:
Set up with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch only
In order to perform Trueplay tuning, the Sonos app for iPhone, iPad or iPod touch running iOS 7 or higher is required. This includes iPhone 4s and higher, iPad 2 and higher and iPod touch 5th generation and higher.

You are also referred to https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3406 which says:
We realize many Sonos users, and music lovers considering Sonos, are happy Android users that want to use their phone or tablet of choice to Trueplay tune their Sonos speakers. Unfortunately due to the wide variety of devices on the Android platform using different software versions, microphones and ways to process audio we could not ensure a consistent and reliable Trueplay tuning experience thus far. It’s absolutely our intent to support Trueplay on Android so know we haven’t lost sight of this gap and are quite unhappy about the lack of Android support.

It's Sonos' company policy not to publish their development plans.
Userlevel 1
Ok so I don't own an iphone, if I buy a second sonos to set up a stereo pair will they work together to get truplay or will I still need a friendly iphone user to visit the house and log on to my system?
Ok so I don't own an iphone, if I buy a second sonos to set up a stereo pair will they work together to get truplay or will I still need a friendly iphone user to visit the house and log on to my system?

You can most certainly pair your speakers and use them without any Trueplay tuning. Trueplay is an optional enhancement, it is not a requirement to use your speakers. You can also borrow an iOS device for Trueplay tuning. Even better, you only need to do it once and the tuning remains in place (as long as you don't move the speakers, of course).
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You can set up a stereo pair no matter what device you use to control Sonos.

TruePlay tuning requires an iOS device to be done. The TruePlay feature is not present in the Android app. Creating a stereo pair won't make TruePlay be possible with the Android app.
Userlevel 1

You can most certainly pair your speakers and use them without any Trueplay tuning. Trueplay is an optional enhancement, it is not a requirement to use your speakers. You can also borrow an iOS device for Trueplay tuning. Even better, you only need to do it once and the tuning remains in place (as long as you don't move the speakers, of course).

Thank you jgatie. The community response is far more helpful than the online chat I had last night.
Userlevel 1
Sonos even said they tried to support at least a single manufacturer like Samsung ... but even then even on the same model phone they found variances in the microphone.

It seems the only solution non-ios is going to require a microphone (a plug in one or using built in one like in the new Play:5).

Hi Chris I have the 2nd Gen play 5, but the android app does not have truplay. Am I missing something in what truplay is or what the 2nd gen does?
Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Truplay is ONLY available on iOS for the reasons that have been explained multiple times before.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Borrow someones IPhone to do the trueplay tuning. You do it once and forget it. Apple microphones were the only ones found consistent enough to use as trueplay tuning microphones. Android used too many manufacturers to be able to implement.
Badge
Sonos needs to add support for Android for its Truplay feature. IOS is becoming an increasingfly more niche player in the market and will continue to see its share decline. You can't tell me that there aren't Android models available that offer as good or better audio detection capabilities. Sonos could list an approved, even if a beginning small subset of supported handsets, or even issue a caveat, use at own risk. Currently I own a Pixel handset by Google. Its far and away the best phone I've used or compared against, I hate to see Sonos paint themselves in a corner by supporting only a IOS. Its not the best for their own future. Heck, I love the Sonos product line, but if I were starting from scratch, I might just purchase a Google Home, some Chromecast Audio devices and pick the speakers I want to use. The Google Home with Chromevast Audio functions much like Sonos. And its barely getting off the ground. Sonos will have to up their game to stay extremely competitive, This doesn't entail only backing a one trick pony like IOS.