Skip to main content

I know Sonos only pander to us minority users that still play out own collections from NAS or Samba but would it not be possible to continue where the queue left off when changing briefly to a Radio Station? Instead it resets the queue back to the first track every time.

That’s not what I see… If I have a queue of music and then play a radio station I only have the option to stop or start the radio station. To get back to what I was playing I just double click on the track that I was listening to previously. That’s on the PC controller. On android the dialogue is slightly different, in that you have to reveal the queue again before you can select the track.

I am on an earlier version, though - 10.4 IIRC - and maybe it changed later on.

Similar to what amun mentions above, if I have a locally stored playlist set in place on any Sonos device ‘queue’, but have been playing Sonos Radio, or an Amazon Alexa session etc; then I just open the device room queue within the Sonos App on any of my controller devices and start music playback from any ‘selected’ track in the queued playlist. 

This request -- to preserve the queue pointer when another source is selected -- has been doing the rounds for years. It’s a sensible ask IMO, but the chances of it being implemented must be tiny given the ease with which a track can simply be selected in the queue to restart play.

If there’s a real need to persist the queue and pointer then a workaround is to ‘hand off’ the current queue state to another player (add player B to the group while dropping player A). It can then be ‘handed’ back again later.

Similar to what amun mentions above, if I have a locally stored playlist set in place on any Sonos device ‘queue’, but have been playing Sonos Radio, or an Amazon Alexa session etc; then I just open the device room queue within the Sonos App on any of my controller devices and start music playback from any ‘selected’ track in the queued playlist. 

And if the queue has 500 tracks how do you go about finding that track to restart? The answer appears to be what Ratty has suggested which is a bit of a fudge. 

And if the queue has 500 tracks how do you go about finding that track to restart? The answer appears to be what Ratty has suggested which is a bit of a fudge. 

Yes, I see your point and support your suggestion. My saved playlists are often smaller, truth be told, and I regularly switch between them and know roughly where some tracks are in the list, or can usually find them at a glance with a quick fast scroll of the queue.. I often just change/swap my smaller playlists anyway and may start playing them part-way through the queue, or in shuffle mode. I do get to hear all the tracks (many times) eventually.

Well, it is a fudge, but it’s a way of handling the problem that works. I doubt that Sonos are going to implement anything differently, as they have a total disinterest in anything NAS based.

However, I’m afraid that I’m still not seeing the problem. If I have a queue of (say) 3000 items and I switch to a radio station, the current queue is still retained, in the same position that it was before. To get back to where you were you just double click on the last track that you played. The pointer may be back to the start position, but the position in the queue is displayed just as you left it.

I’ve just tried this with both playing a radio station and switching to line in, and it shows the last track played in both instances.

However, I’m afraid that I’m still not seeing the problem. If I have a queue of (say) 3000 items and I switch to a radio station, the current queue is still retained, in the same position that it was before. To get back to where you were you just double click on the last track that you played. The pointer may be back to the start position, but the position in the queue is displayed just as you left it.

I am on the latest S2 software and you seem to be right in that if I keep the PC Controller open when going from the queue to a radio station and back to the queue then the queue position/pointer is maintained. If I close the controller, continue to listen to the radio station but then re open the controller the queue pointer reverts to the first in the queue. Can’t be rocket science to sort this out surely? It is these silly little things that make a system into something special. I do wonder some times whether anyone at Sonos use their systems at all !!

I am on the latest S2 software and you seem to be right in that if I keep the PC Controller open when going from the queue to a radio station and back to the queue then the queue position/pointer is maintained. If I close the controller, continue to listen to the radio station but then re open the controller the queue pointer reverts to the first in the queue.

Yes, that would be the difference - I never shut down the controller software, unless it’s by accident ;-)