Terrible Interface

• 16 November 2015
  • 13 replies

I love Sonos as it's a great system, but the controller is the worst interface I have ever used in any application. For what is such a simple set of requirements they have some how managed to make it so unnecessarily convoluted that's it's practically in comprehensible. Please Stop over thinking the interface. There's nothing complicated about. It should be as simple as the car radio. Call me if you can't understand how that can be, I'll explain it to you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

In your opinion.

I think it's infinitely better than most of the native apps, all of which have nuances that make it impossible to comfortably transition between them, and too much "social" clutter. The Sonos UI fixes both issues nicely.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
No idea what the OP is talking about. I love the UI on my iPhone and iPad.
It's personal preference. I find that the SONOS UI is OK -- much better than what is fast becoming the "usual" UI with virtually nothing on a screen and one must dig and dig for everything. And, the SONOS UI is not constantly trying to sell me something or get "social". I don't need to know what Jack and Jill are listening to or what their favorites might be.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Has the OP tried any of the various third party interfaces if not a fan of Sonos official interface?
Userlevel 1
Badge +8
@Mtndog : maybe you should try writing your own app, it should be quite straightforward. And as it will be much better than the Sonos native one, there is probably a lot of money to make with it - everybody here is ready to pay some $ for the perfect controller!
I have not tried any other app. I assume since I pay enough for the speakers, and they obviously have a developer Sonos would want to provide the best experience for their customer. Not just sell the system and let the customers be on there own to figure out how to run it. So at Crilo's suggestion I took a stab at an UI. What do you think?
This is not a UI that I would enjoy, but it would be relatively easy to implement because there would be very little need for two-way feedback.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Why don't you look at the alternative interfaces
I agree, I have been using the Sonos app for more than a year now and I still find the app extremely confusing. It is very hard to find the stuff you are looking for, the queue mechanism is incredibly clunky and confusing, it is just bad. I think the UX needs a complete overhaul, I would start from scratch all over again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Please do not Sonos. And the queue function is what makes Sonos great.
Please do not Sonos. And the queue function is what makes Sonos great.

... used to make the Sonos great. The new queue control method is terrible. A new year resolution for Sonos should be to fix their software and make it the best system out there again.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
I like the Sonos interface, but must admit I would like it to look as attractive as that of the Apple Music one. Only a personal opinion!
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Try Sonopad ?