Skip to main content
Question

Surround Speaker Distance - 80.0 Update

Does the new (80) update have surround speaker distance? If not I request that it gets added onto the list of missing features. I change my surround distance when friends are over as some spots in my setup may blast their ears.

Also I know the new update sucks. I know I can go back with Android. I agree features like the alarm are more important, in fact I want that back ASAP - This is just one feature I occasionally use that I hope doesn’t get missed. I also hope I missed it somehow and it is in there. No I will not set Trueplay and forget. <3

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 1

Exactly the same issue for me. Sorrounds distance seems to be taken away - but a new „balance” option appeared in Equalizer. The thing is it does completely nothing. I can’t downgrade on iOS.

I don’t want to use trueplay, because I change sorrounds distance often depending on where I sit in the room. Doing trueplay everytime is not an option for me, it would take too much time.

I wanna say that if a new „Balance” option in EQ would work for sorrounds, this would be even better than three predefined distance ranges, allowing for a much more precise control. But it has zero effect on output sound for me.

Userlevel 1

I simply do not understand. How can the feature to set distance to surround speakers be removed? This is the most used feature when watching movies. Without it, the 2k system just become crap...

Userlevel 1

Since the App upgrade the speaker distance has been removed and the balance slider moves but has no effect whatsoever ! 
How do I rectify this 

Userlevel 1

Same issue. Moved house and I was setting up he surround system again and realised the feature is missing. This is a must have! Please bring back!

Userlevel 1

Bring the distance feature back!!! My surround sound is imbalanced in parts of the room without being able to adjust it as I normally do. If it's not brought back soon, I will need to get different speakers and get rid of the Sonos, which is unfortunate since they are excellent speakers, but if you can't control them, that doesn't really matter. And I'm not even including the issue of constant connectivity issues.

I agree on bringing the rear speaker distance feature back!!

Also, many of us don’t use TruePlay or want to but since the distance feature is gone, I tried using TruePlay and it freezes the App during the setup process!!!!

I’ve tried rebooting everything including deleting and reinstalling the App. Same thing.

The TruePlay part of this discussion should probably go into a separate thread but c’mon Sonos!!!!!!!

Userlevel 1

Please bring this back!! It's was a noticeable change when using this function 

Userlevel 1

Same. 
How could you remove basic surround system functionality? Did you assume that the rooms of all your users in the world have the same size and distance from the rear speakers?

Can you please bring it back with the next updates ASAP? I can’t really use m system now and considering moving to a different one if not addressed. 

Userlevel 1

Same. 
How could you remove basic surround system functionality? Did you assume that the rooms of all your users in the world have the same size and distance from the rear speakers?

Can you please bring it back with the next updates ASAP? I can’t really use m system now and considering moving to a different one if not addressed. 

From what I understand (not tested myself) all functions are available if loaded via a PC 

I have just moved house and going through this issue myself. There's a noticeable difference between volume and distance.

I will confirm next weekend if it works on pc though as it's not set up yet.

Userlevel 1

I haven’t been able to change it on my PC so o really look forward to what you can see. 

Sonosequencer doesn’t seem to recognise Era 100s paired with Beam as surrounds so can’t change the distance via that app either. 

Userlevel 1

Finally, the feature set distance to surround speakers is back! Download latest app and update system :)

After the new update on 6.17.24, I found that I could not adjust distance, tv level, or music level for the surrounds. I have an iPhone. I refreshed the app multiple times and it would not work, all it would say in the surround settings for my room was reset, with no other option. I went through a bunch of Sonos Reddit pages and forums, everyone just stated that overtime it came back, or it never did at all. You can’t roll back the update.

SOLUTION: for me what  immediately worked was completely deleting the app, redownloading it, and then signing back in. Once I did that it began working. I saw some threads saying that sometimes they can see surround settings and sometimes they can’t, it’ll come and go. I have not yet experienced this, I do not know if this solution will prevent that from happening. But as of right now, with what I explained it’s functioning.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi all, I had the same problem. I have the Sonos beam and two Sonos One’s as my surrounding sound connected to the TV.

After hours of messing around with the phone app and laptop app and going down various rabbit holes. I found a work around! Turn off the TV and on your phone or laptop open a music app. e.g. Spotify, Apple etc. Start your music then connect to Sonos. On the Sonos app go to settings, then whatever you have called your surround sound system. Select it then when it open scroll down too EQ + Surround audio and that’s where you can adjust tv/music levels, speaker distance. 

Hope it works for you.