Support Windows 8 RT for Surface Tablet and Windows Phone 8 for Mobile Devices

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

941 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
So 5 months pass and no sign of another updated from John M. Sonos's incompatibility with the Microsoft ecosystem is not being improved and has only been worsened over the last year and a bit.

They are sending a very clear message: "Anyone using Microsoft products/services: look elsewhere."
Bought today a new Sonos system. I was aware of the missing app in the Windows Phone store. There a 3rd party apps, but the are nothing compared to the IOS or Android version and you need to pay for them. Please release a Windows Phone and RT app, so more people can enjoy the full power of the Sonos system. 
Clearly mgmt at Sonos don't care about customers. The direction the company is going in is supposedly a good one. Who for! Not consumers. The official response is always "under consideration" or we are not ready to share.    windows phone has 10% market share and yet Sonos refuses to acknowledge them as consumers, likewise surface RT users .  I  want to buy a whole range of connects and speakers but refuse too until I can actually control it with decent devices like windows phones and surface devices.
Badge +1
Ditto.....very frustrating not being able to control my system from my Windows Nokia 1020 phone.  The world does NOT revolve around Apple and Android.  Come on Sonos, I don't think this would be all that difficult.  Heck, I'd even pay something for the application if you would get it out there.  How about give all of us Windows users a wonderful Christmas present????
Come on start implementing!
I am changing from an I-pad to the surface due to the fact that the apple format is not compatible with other things I need to do. It was very disappointing to find out that Sonos does not have a OS for the surface. You have a dynamite product , now please make it compatible!!
This is a must. I was close to buy some Sonos devices realizing these missing app. Sorry. Checking for other options now.
Under consediration for one year, cant belive what sonos are thinking, ONE YEAR !!! And still no app for windows phone. Europe alone have 10%+ windows phone users and growing each day. SONOS where are you ?
Badge
Windows 8 touch tablet app please! 
Badge
Another dedicated sonos customer waiting for Win 8 app support...
One more, please bring it soon! Holding off on setting up my home with a Sonos system based on this consideration.
It has been 5 months since an official response (which contained no details).  Can we please have an update.  There are many of us waiting for the Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone controller applications.
No official response for over 4 months. Come on Sonos sort it out. Where is the Windows App!!!!!!!!
In our house we have two Windows 8 phones and I just bought a Surface 2. I have two Sonos Play speakers but wont be buying any more until we get an official Sonos app for Windows. Come on Sonos!!!
Sonos,

Where is the support for Windows 8 & Windows Phone 8

Are you developing an app? What is the Schedule?
Userlevel 1
Badge
With the release of the Play:1 my family bought into Sonos and happily using three Play:1's and a Play:5, excellent audio experience, flawless functionality albeit poor user interface. My house is a Windows shop, no iOS or Android devices. We have 2 Surfaces, 4 Windows Phones and a Dell Venue Pro with multiple touch PC's. I'm using a Yamaha amp for TV audio and have strongly considered a Playbar and Sub to displace it. My kids want Play:1's for their bedrooms as per Christmas requests. I'm having a hard time committing to expand Sonos in the house until I see Sonos commit to my preferred platform.

An indication from Sonos would help defining plans for supporting a touch friendly Windows experience. The desktop experience is sub par at best and does not help paint the solution as a great experience when trying to entice friends and family to the platform.
What's the matter?
Badge
The last reply from Sonos is 5 months ago indicating a "good" direction, yet the status is still "under consideration". Your silence speaks volumes.
Userlevel 1
Echo both of the above...poor technology support and neither the Play 1 or Playbar + Sub will hit my home until this support exists.
A new official reply would be appriciated
Just went to decide on a music system today, the sales person tried to convince me there is an app for the windows phone but I failed to find it and either did he when he was pressed. Anyway I love the sonos concept and the sound is terrific, but I have went with another brand instead because of this failing. I do not know if I made the right choice. 
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
I don't think you did. Sonos by far exceeds expectations compared to other systems.

Of course if you only have a Windows phone, yes at the moment you cant use it for control.

But if you have Windows PCs you can use them. I know not an ideal solution, but could get you by until they possibly create a app for your phone.

I am currently looking at purchasing some inexpensive android tablets for keeping multiple remote controls available for my many Sonos Zones.

There are a couple of things I would like Sonos to come up with, such as a simple remote, etc. But any of these ideas are just icing on the cake to a awesome system!
I was originally delighted by the Sonos concept, and was planning on getting several components for this Christmas, but the lack of Windows Phone support means we can't use it (going upstairs to a desktop computer doesn't make sense for us). I'd love to be able to control this via our Windows Phones, or from my Surface (though remote desktop might be a workable hack). As a developer, I understand that supporting another platform is not a trivial endeavor, but wanted to add my voice that it's an important purchasing decision for my family.

I'd love to hear if there's an SDK or interface that third parties could use to build support on third-party devices. That would be a good solution for you guys, as it would increase your customer base and provide a way to quickly adapt to new platforms.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Yes, definitely need Windows app support.  With the advent of Windows 8.1 and the variety of touch tablets from Dell, Acer, Lenovo, etc. a Windows 8.1 app is going to be expected. Pro devices at least have the option of the regular desktop application but that is not as elegant as a Windows Modern UI app.  With Phone 8, the codebase has been somewhat unified so that an app developed for Windows 8.1 is readily ported to Windows phone and vice-verse.  I don't think Sonos should compare iPad and Android to Windows Phone for installed base but rather consider Windows Phone AND Windows 8+ app the target.  The installed base of users looks a lot bigger that way and it's a more accurate way to think about it IMHO.
Can you provide a timeframe for availability of a Windows Surface RT device and Windows Phone 8 app?