Support Windows 8 RT for Surface Tablet and Windows Phone 8 for Mobile Devices

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

941 replies

I have 2 Play 3s and one Sonos amp.  I'm ready to buy two Sonos Connects once there are WP8 and Win8 apps, but I'm waiting to extend my system until I see Windows support.  I was hoping to do this before Christmas 2013, but that appears unlikely.
For me it is clear: if Sonos is not getting serious about supporting Windows 8 (RT) and Windows Phone, I will be leaving Sonos behind and spend my money with a manufacturer that does. I was in a trade show in Belgium the beginning of November. The Sonos rep at the show told me a Windows Phone app was coming within 2 months ... let's see how much he was lying to me in order to avoid a discussion.

Apparently he was lying or someone was lying to him 😞
Love Sonos, but as soon as I find a good alternative I guess Sonos will leave my room:( And that´s too bad, only because I can´t have a system that doesn´t have support for my Windows Phones, makes the simple system not so simple after all...
Phonos is not efficient either.
For those of you with the Surface RT, I have 3 words for you. Remote Desktop Connection... Turn that on, and you can control your Sonos from your Surface RT exactly the same way you would do it from your desktop or laptop Windows app. On top of that, you can run ANY app that you have on your PC from your surface. Not a native app, but should tide you over till Sonos decides to announce something.
RDP only works if you have a computer that will accept a remote desktop connection.  Mine do, but I believe that Windows "Home" licenses don't allow for that.  In addition, using RDP is another step that we would also like to avoid and I certainly won't let my kids RDP into my server just to change the music.
I have a Play:1, a Play:3 and a Connect and I live this System, but I Hate this bad Support for Windows Phone 8, Phonos is the only app which I have under consideration... I have a complete Microsoft Environment and only because I bought a Surface Pro I am able to control my System, THIS IS BAD!

So stop your answers with under consideration and SUPPORT other OSes, like you can see, Windows Phone is not dead, it is growing!
I'm still confused why this is taking so long? Your Desktop Client is running on a .NET base probably written in C#. So you should have the knowledge of Platform and Programming Language to easily create a Windows Phone / WinRT App. And there are some apps that show that controlling Sonos from the Windows (Phone) Platform is possible, so whats the point of not doing it? At least Windows 8 (8.1) should have enough market share to take this quickly in consideration, as your Desktop Client is not what i would call Touch Optimized.
Anyone got Alternative Players to bridge that will have a windows APP?
Badge
Need this for win 8 metro.
There has again been a "little" while since the last update, when can we expect more information on possible decision and progress of a Sonos control that supports the Metro UI? 
I am in the mood to buy a sonos system but I need to know that it will work with my Nokia 920 witch has WP8. Is there going to be a app for this or am I going to haft to choose another comp. system?
@Johan: If like me you love your Windows Phone forget about Sonos. I'm waiting now for more than 2 years and there is still no news from Sonos.
4 months since last update.... Please, let us know if we should ditch our Sonos systems now - or hang on to them while waiting for Win8/WinPhone8 support?
Even the support says: Please vote for it... Now 1289 Votes and 1 year later still no App... This is not professional sonos!
Maybe Teufel will be faster.....
It's very bad to not have an App for Win 8. Do you know, that Win 8 is an OS too? 😞 Please release ist now. Thanks!
The missing Windows Phone 8 App is the only reason why I haven't bought a Sonos sound system yet ... it is time to release it!
Guys, hurry up please!
Seriously guys, get your act together, how hard can this be. I really would like a Sonos system at home, but have been delaying buying it for way to long now!!!
As work and home-user of tablets and Phones, I made the step from IPad and IPhone to Winodow8 pro and Windows8Phone. I have only Sonos in my house, but cannot play them with my Phone and tablet. Going to Apple or Android is not the option. Can you tell me what  to do?
Just been in the HiFi Klubben store here in Sweden and received a demo of your system. Was just about to make a decent purchase of your product when I thought to ask about your controller app compatability for my Surface RT and my Nokia Lumina Win phone. I was dumbfounded by the response from the sales rep. Please get serious for the Windows platform if you want to increase your market share and want some of my hard earned Swedish Kroner
I totally agree.  I am waiting to buy the Sonos system until I can control it with my Windows phone.
Windows Phone now has parity on most of the top download apps found on iOS and Android with an “85% overlap” in top-25 titles and still nothing from Sonos. The money this company charge for its products leads me to believe that Sonos either has a disagreement with Microsoft or the management are all Apple fan boys with no desire to make the operating system any more potentially damaging to Apple. The continued absence of a WP controller obviously has nothing to do with finances. A recent email reply from Sonos reminded me that 'the company does not comment on products in development. So, a year into Windows Phone 8 and still this company has nothing to say and Im still having to use a laptop for Sonos. The time has come to consider selling my sonos system and buy something else.
Please provide us with more information on release dates, etc. I feel that I could program this myself in a jiffy, provided that Sonos would give me access to the right APIs. Why does it take so long guys?
Im satisfied with my new Sonos system, but i was allso told that the WP8 app was to be released before christmas. It seems i wont be, and that puts me in the same awkward situatuion as the majority of users in this thread. I have a great working sound system, but im missing the remote i allways have on me. Please fix it Sonos, or at least release a date, strategy or explanation to you users. 
I see its been 5 months since the last official Sonos respons to this thread. That is just Unacceptable
Userlevel 2
Hey, I really want to buy a Sonos system for Christmas present to the my family. But without an Windows Phone / Windows app I will not buy it. Unfortunately. Please make an WP/Win app for your system.