Spotify OFF LINE mode

• 1 October 2015
  • 12 replies

Hi guys,
Ive been told to get anything changed we must gather many comments so Sonos will develop the change. So please comment if you think this would be good.

You need to find a way that we can use Spotify (in the sonos controller) in OFFLINE mode. So we can listen to our play lists without using our bandwidth.
The only way i can work out this can be done is using the spotify homepage and using a sonos connect, we all know these cost a further few hundred dollars and with some efforts we should be able to use the spotify features in the sonos controller with greater ease. Sonos is heavily advertised in regards to music services etc so please increase the features in this area in regards to the controller.
With the new chrome devices on sale you need to keep up to stay ahead.

Thanks
Mike

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

What makes you think a Sonos connect will be able to do this better than any other Sonos device?

Where would the files be played from if you're offline? And how many people have Sonos setup where they have no internet connection? I'm struggling to see the point if i'm honest.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I dont think this is really a plausible request. In 'offline mode', Spotify is playing the tracks which are stored locally on the device for playlists marked as 'available offline'. Sonos is streaming tracks directly from Spotify over the internet, not from a local repository of Spotify tracks. For 'offline mode', Sonos would need access to these tracks (on a phone/computer/tablet) and would have to know to switch from streaming via the internet to this 'local repository' at the flick of a switch. The repository and tracks themselves can differ from one device to the next (playlist A may be available on one phone but not on another) and are also 'time limited' to 30 days before going online again - it would be an enormous technical challenge for a very very small minority of users who a) have spotify premium and b) have a capped internet limit.

I dont know how the new Chromecast works but I can tell you that Spotify's own 'Spotify Connect' streaming platform does not support offline mode either !
Badge +1
I comment even if I don't think it is good.

Don't belive in this requirement at all actually.

More and more people at least where I live have flat rate so bandwith is a no issue question.

I can't really see that Spotify would accept this.
If they would why do they already today stop playing the stream if you start it on another non Sonos device.
This would be absolutely amazing. For me it's not a bandwidth issue, but simply that my internet is really annoying and drops fairly frequently, meaning sonos can't buffer spotify enough, plunging my restaurant into silence. It's unbearable.
Userlevel 2
Badge
You cant play your spotify playlists offline unless all the tracks are stored locally on your home network devices.

If they are all stored locally then use Sonos to play them from there without Spotify.

---

Yesjess

If your sonos stops playing in the restaurant and you cant rely on your internet connection, then maybe streaming isn't your answer. But as I mentioned above, if you have the tracks locally, then make sonos playlists and play them from there.
This would be absolutely amazing. For me it's not a bandwidth issue, but simply that my internet is really annoying and drops fairly frequently, meaning sonos can't buffer spotify enough, plunging my restaurant into silence. It's unbearable.

So what you're saying is when you're streaming Spotify in your restaurant and the internet connection drops you want Sonos to somehow download the entire Spotify catalogue somewhere locally in that instant? Well, I can't see any reason why that wouldn't work.

Sorry to dig up an old post but I've been having this same issue in my restaurant and finally found a workaround:

- Use the normal Spotify app instead of the Sonos+Spotify integration.
- Plug the device with Spotify directly into your Sonos box.
- Change to LINE IN in your Sonos setup.

Now we don't have to worry about internet dropouts (which were occurring multiple times a day).

😃
Some kind of offline mode would be great for us. I have just recently purchased a system for our bar. A connect + 2 play3. Wired directly to the amp are 2 tannoy speakers. I do use the line in option and play downloaded playlists directly from spotify however it still relies on a reliable network. Surely Sonos should have a back up for network issues. In my case we love in a rural setting in the western Isles of Scotland, network connection can be problematic. Even the wired element of the system goes when the network is down. If I had known that there wasn't some kind of offline mode I would have chosen another system that uses Bluetooth. Come on Sonos sort it out please.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Some kind of offline mode would be great for us. I have just recently purchased a system for our bar. A connect + 2 play3. Wired directly to the amp are 2 tannoy speakers. I do use the line in option and play downloaded playlists directly from spotify however it still relies on a reliable network. Surely Sonos should have a back up for network issues. In my case we love in a rural setting in the western Isles of Scotland, network connection can be problematic. Even the wired element of the system goes when the network is down. If I had known that there wasn't some kind of offline mode I would have chosen another system that uses Bluetooth. Come on Sonos sort it out please.

Sonos have recently announced that they will have a Spotify integration. In other words you will be able to play to Sonos from the SPOTIFY app - presumably this means that you would be able to play downloaded (offline) tracks as long as your network is working. This will be out in public Beta at some point.

Anyway, don't let music spoil your rural love in!
I do use the line in option and play downloaded playlists directly from spotify however it still relies on a reliable network.
This was as suggested in your first thread. Line-In requires no internet, but it can stress the local wireless network to breaking point. I suggest you set Line-In compression to Compressed, under Advanced Settings. If that doesn't resolve things, submit a system diagnostic, note the confirmation number and include it in the opening post of a new thread.

Surely Sonos should have a back up for network issues.

Firstly Sonos has nowhere to store downloaded music. But the fundamental obstacle is that services like Spotify wouldn't allow it. They must maintain control over their own downloaded music, via their own apps, in order to report usage for royalty purposes. This is why one is forced to go online with the Spotify app every so often to maintain access to locally stored music.
Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it.
Badge
Absolutely vital for me. I live in the Brazilian outback and internet quality is very sketchy,