Skip to main content
Question

Spotify Connect no longer working with recent updates / Cannot Reauthorize Spotify in Sonos App

• 2 July 2024
  • 1 reply

I am a patient IT engineer, but I am getting close throw out all my Sonos gear over this mess. I have a whole host of issues that started a few weeks back. It’s a mystery to me how such poor quality software updates passed release testing and were allowed to be rolled-out essentially rendering the product unusable. 

1. From Spotify I can sometimes not longer see any of my speakers on my Samsung Galaxy S23. Closing Spotify, putting the phone into flight mode and back again may or may not fix this. This is an older problem that I got used to though.
  2. When I select any of the speakers shown in Spotify for playback via Connect I get the circle (of death) and until it eventually times out without a connection to the speakers being established. This is relatively new (a few weeks)
  3. Using the Sonos App I can still see some of the playlists that I played last (when Spotify Connect was still working). Sometimes I am lucky and I succeed to get these to play. 
  4. Using the Sonos App while trying to connect to Spotify I get prompted to reauthorize my Spotify account. The browser opens, I enter my Spotify user ID and password and login successfully until I get told that authorization was successful and that I am to close browser Window and return to the Sonos app. However, the Sonos app displays the error “Couldn’t sign in”

Bottom line: I cannot play any music except some Spotify play lists that played weeks if not months ago. 

There are many posts about similar issues, but not one that seems to relate to the most recent release. If anyone has tips, this would be welcome. 

Note:

• Some of the speakers are WIFI connect, some are wired - the problem is the same on all of them
  • I am using a Synology RT6600ax router.
  • Using Spotify on an iPad I just managed to connect to the speakers after a lot of trying.

UPDATE:

After I managed to authorize Spotify on my iPad, it now also seems to work on my Samsung phone again. So, for now things are working again. However, having to revert to an Apple device cannot possibly be the solution for a product like Sonos.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @spepper 

Welcome back to the Sonos Community! And, apologies for the delay.

I’m glad to hear that you were eventually able to get Spotify working as expected on your Samsung device. My assumption would be that the security token that should be getting exchanged between Spotify and your Sonos system got corrupted somehow. Often, removing and re-adding a service can be more effective at clearing this issue than a reauthorisation, but it seems in this case that reauthorising on the iOS device had a similar effect. Should this issue reoccur, please see if removing and adding Spotify with the Samsung phone fixes the issue.

Remove a music service account from Sonos

Add a music service to Sonos

We are working hard to improve matters with the new app - ideally, you won’t see this issue again.

I hope this helps.