Skip to main content

If I upgrade my compatible speakers to S2, is it possible to then move them back to S1 (so they can be used again with my older units) or are they forever S2?  

And is it a headache to switch them back?  Ideally I’d like to be able to keep all my speakers on S1, and then on occasion use a few of them on S2 and then go back to S1.  My guess is that won’t be an easy process.

Factory reset the S2 device, then choose to add it from S1 app.

Confirmed this morning that S1/S2 compatible speakers can be reset and moved between them.

If I upgrade my compatible speakers to S2, is it possible to then move them back to S1 (so they can be used again with my older units) or are they forever S2?  

And is it a headache to switch them back?  Ideally I’d like to be able to keep all my speakers on S1, and then on occasion use a few of them on S2 and then go back to S1.  My guess is that won’t be an easy process.

You can apparently reset a (pre-May, non-legacy) S2 product and set it up on an 'existing’ S1 HH .. however it seems setting up a new S1 HH from such an S2 device (reset or otherwise) is not possible by a user.

Thank you all!  Ken -- can you clarify what is a HH?

Another question -- I currently run Deezer Elite -- this is an FLAC stream.  I was told by an audio salesman that while Sonos runs FLAC the audio you actually get is less than CD quality due to Sonos’ own compression. 

1. Is this true?
  2. If so, does the broader band of S2 eliminate said compression?
  3. Would this elimination be immediately audible or do we need to await further updates?

Or perhaps this question is big enough that I should start a separate topic!

Another question -- I currently run Deezer Elite -- this is an FLAC stream.  I was told by an audio salesman that while Sonos runs FLAC the audio you actually get is less than CD quality due to Sonos’ own compression. 

1. Is this true?

100% false. Sonos does no compression, it either plays the file, or it doesn’t.  The only compression used by Sonos is on the Line-In analog sources.  

As an aside, never believe anything an audio salesman says.  They are notoriously unreliable and full of misinformation.  

1. Is this true?
  2. If so, does the broader band of S2 eliminate said compression?
  3. Would this elimination be immediately audible or do we need to await further updates?

Or perhaps this question is big enough that I should start a separate topic!

The Sonos supported audio formats/codecs S1 & S2 are mentioned in this link…

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/79

Brandon_7, 

Sorry for the abbreviation.. S1 HH means a Sonos S1 Household (or ‘System’). Hope thst helps to clarify things a little better and sorry that my post wasn’t clear.👍

From: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4845?language=en_US

Is this process reversible?

No, once products have upgraded to S2, they cannot be downgraded back to S1 or added to an S1 system. Make sure you want to create a split system before following this process.

Confirmed this morning that S1/S2 compatible speakers can be reset and moved between them.

Has it been confirmed by Sonos, my understanding was that when you’d updated your products to work on the S2 app there was no going back ? 🤷‍♂️

Has it been confirmed by Sonos, my understanding was that when you’d updated your products to work on the S2 app there was no going back ? 🤷‍♂️

The official word from Sonos is there is no going back.  However, several posters, including the former mod and holder of the most posts ever on this forum, have performed a reset on an S2 device and then added it back into an S1 system.  

The official word from Sonos is there is no going back.  However, several posters, including the former mod and holder of the most posts ever on this forum, have performed a reset on an S2 device and then added it back into an S1 system.  

I wonder how long this kludge is going to last? Will it survive to versions 11.3 and 12.1 or beyond, or fall off as an option. Sonos certainly makes it difficult for seasoned users to help out casual users when contradictions like this present themselves and they are absent from the conversation. Trust in the company is pretty low at the moment, and contradictions, inaccuracies and direction changes are not helping.

I wonder how long this kludge is going to last?

i would expect it to last for as long as the pre-June 2020 line of products compatible with S1 are sold.  if Sonos expects to sell that hardware to existing customers they’ll need to ship a product that can join either an S1 or S2 system straight out of the package.

the only hard marker they’ve communicated is that newly released products from June 2020 on will be S2 only. so far that’s the Arc, Five and Sub (gen 3).

the only hard marker they’ve communicated is that newly released products from June 2020 on will be S2 only. so far that’s the Arc, Five and Sub (gen 3).

I thought this was a pretty hard marker too.

I guess it didn’t turn out that way.

I thought this was a pretty hard marker too.

I guess it didn’t turn out that way.

touché.