Skip to main content
I have Sonos throughout my house and have had no problems with it for a long time. I started off with 2 Sonos 5s and a bridge and then added more and now have the following configuration.

Kitchen: 2 x play 5s paired, 2 x play 3s paired and a woofer.

Living Room: 1 Playbar, 2 x play 1s and 1 woofer.

Music room: 1 x Connect Amp.

Bedroom: 1 x play1.

Bedroom: 1 x play1.

Study: Bridge connected to the router with Ethernet cable.

I use spotify as my music streaming service.

With the above configuration I didn't seem to have any problems. I have since added a Beam in the Kitchen and a Boost (to replace the bridge) and play 1 in the study.

Since adding the play 1 to the study and Beam to the kitchen I have had no end of problems. The speakers keep dropping out and sometimes won't connect at all. The iphone app and ipad app are slow to respond when adjusting volume and sometimes when selecting new music to play some speakers continue to play the previous track for 10 to 15 seconds.

This basically makes my whole set up unusable. Help it's very frustrating.
I think the dropouts and the speed of response are tied together, inasmuch as you may be having some trouble with the speakers staying on the wifi properly. The controller on any device is only a remote control to the software on the speaker, and if the speaker is dropping off the network periodically, the controller will have difficulty "reaching" to get a response and show it to you.

I'm delighted to see that you have a BRIDGE....although with the age of them, there does seem to be a significant number that are experiencing failures with the power supply. You can, of course, fairly easily find replacements for that online, but it may or may not be the real problem. And if it was, I'd give some extra consideration to replacing the BRIDGE, which is SonosNet 1.0 (think 802.11b, if that means anything to you) with a BOOST, which is SonosNet 2.0 (think 802.11g...not a perfect analogy, mind you, but semi-useful).

I'd also take a look at wifi interference FAQ to see if there's anything in that which might help your situation.

I'd also give pretty hard consideration, given the number of speakers you have, of assigning them reserved IP addresses in your router's DHCP table, and then rebooting the whole kit and kaboodle to pick up that change.

But at the end of the day, those are all guesses. If you were to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it, it might be a good idea. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.