Skip to main content
My SonosOne speaker was named Bathroom on my app, but it keeps saying it is Kitchen 2. I have done a complete reset, but it doesn't change.
Hi there, jyeargin. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. What device are you using to control Sonos? From the Computer, you should be able to go to: Manage > Settings > Room Settings. From there, you can change the Room name from the drop-down box or you can type in a name you'd prefer.

If you are on a mobile device: More Tab > Settings > Room Settings. From there, select the room you want to edit and then select Room Name, to input a new room name.

Hopefully, you find this helpful! If you run into any problems, we may want to get a pair of eyes on this in real time. I would recommend giving our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this and get this sorted. Thanks!
Sono1 room set up seem to recognize acoustical qualities of a given room. I'm realy not generally interested in adjusting setting every time I move unit. So how much does quality sound suffer? Loving some sound.
Thanks, but my app has the correct name. It’s the speaker which doesn’t!!!!
Episode 1: Part of the Room Setup is going through TruePlay tuning. The difference in sound quality varies on its location. The learn more about TruePlay, check out this handy video.

Is it worth re-tuning everytime you move your speakers? I think so. However, it is really up to you.

jyeargin: How does the speaker have the incorrect name but not on the app? The speakers appear as "Rooms" in the app which you can name. Where are you seeing a speaker name?
The "name" of the room is only a text file that helps you identify the speaker when looking in the controller app. There's no relationship between the "name" of the room and the sound settings of the speaker. You can change it at will.

I do find it odd that your system sees two different names for the same speaker. Not sure I can explain that, so I'd be tempted to rename the speaker to something different, and see if that clears up the issue on the two controllers.

The best way to "tune" the speaker for the particular room is to run TruePlay on it, assuming that you have an iOS device, which is the only way to do that at this point. It's not available for Android devices, to my knowledge.

My experience with TruePlay is that assuming that you've done a credible job of placing your speaker in the first place, it doesn't do a lot. But if you've put it behind a couch, or a drape, it will make an effort to "fix" the sound. So, it's not a requirement when you move the speaker, if you do so frequently. But if you're going to leave it in place for a few weeks, and you have an iOS device, I'd recommend it. It doesn't hurt anything, and once it's done, you can actually switch between states in the app, if you don't like the changes it has made. .
Keith: I see the name "bathroom" on my app. But when I ask Alexa to play "..." while near the bathroom speaker, it answers that it is playing it on "kitchen 2". But, I don't have anything named "kitchen 2"!!!! And, THAT speaker plays what I am asking. Just announces it on a randomly named speaker 😞