"Sonos was unable to add the music folder"

• 12 August 2013
  • 57 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

57 replies

Have had this issue every time I unplug an external drive that has a music library on it and try to have SONOS locate the library on my computer.  Recycling my router and SONOS device ALWAYS fixes it.  Shouldn't be this way but it does quickly fix the problem and I love my SONOS system.  Sony sound bars??!!  Only SONOS keeps every room I play music in perfectly in sync with no echo.  A home filled with music and it's all easily accessible.  If that's what you want nobody else does it.  Can't replace that...  Wish they would address this sync problem though with the router...
Am also having problem with music library on Mini Mac running Yosemite 10.10.1. Suggestions ?

Hi Larry.  This probably isn't the solution you are looking for, but assuming this is an external drive that connects to your PC that's just not a great way to store your music for Sonos.  I'd suggest getting a cheap NAS drive to connect to your router instead.  (If you want your music to be portable too it's not hard to keep the two drives in sync.)
Dear all,

apparently I solved this problem by following these steps:

- go to system preferences
- go to sharing
- enable file sharing
- then, go to options…
- enable share files and folders using SMB (windows)
- enable an account, you have to enter your password
- then click done, close sharing, close preferences

this worked for me. Hopefully it will work for you.

You little genius!!! Worked for me too!
Just wanted to add my 2 cents...

My free "Avast Anti-Virus" was the culprit.  The Sonos support tech took control and tried all sorts of things, but it required uninstalling the Avast, then adding my music library.  This time it worked!  After my music was indexed (added), we re-installed Avast and now everything works as advertised.

Keeping my fingers crossed..
Just wanted to add my 2 cents...

My free "Avast Anti-Virus" was the culprit.  The Sonos support tech took control and tried all sorts of things, but it required uninstalling the Avast, then adding my music library.  This time it worked!  After my music was indexed (added), we re-installed Avast and now everything works as advertised.

Keeping my fingers crossed..

You can always rely on the Sonos Support team to make a vast difference.

I can hear the groans from here.....
I had this issue recently, disabled all firewall and all went ok
I started getting the message "Sonos was unable to add the music folder. Reason: The computer refused to let Sonos access it." yesterday. I don't know how to fix it. Please advise me. I am using Windows 10 64-bit and my music folder is g:/Sonos.