Skip to main content

Hi 

wondering if you can help. 

I have a Sky Q remote and has always worked the Playbar  but tonight something strange has happened. 

the remote works the volume but only 2-3ft away but any further away it doesn’t respond. 

the control is not faulty and works perfectly for every feature it’s programmed for so my fault finding is pointing to the bar, has anyone had the fault before or know or a fix?  
I’ve power cycled the unit but doesn’t make any difference, I’ve also turned the IR off and on through the app. 

please help 

cheers 

Have you replaced the batteries?

Ok, I thought there was a slim chance of getting a comment like this but not the first one 🤣

Sorry. If it works when close, but not when far away, it’s a safe bet that the IR is so weak that the Sonos device is not picking it up, even though the TV might be.

And, frankly, depending on the TV and whether the Sonos has moved position slightly, it’s also possible that the TV is emitting frequencies that are “blocking” reception by the Sonos. This is seen sometimes with Plasma TVs, although usually they seem to be older TVs of that ilk. 

But my bet would be on poor emission strength, although I’ve no clue as to how sensitive the IR receiver in a Sonos is in relation to a TV’s sensor. 

And it could be that something got placed in front of the IR receiver on the Sonos, although that’s a pretty uncommon thing. 

The TV or bar hasn’t moved as they are on the wall. 

nothing has changed in my living room setting and was working perfectly without a hitch. 

even the IR sensor doesn’t even flash white anymore when it even works close up so something isn’t right here 

Hi @Matthew Nunn, thanks for raising this with the Sonos Community!

Do you have any other IR remote controls available, and if so would it be possible to test a different remote with the Playbar?

You’ll need to reconfigure for the new remote to do so - you can do this by going to Settings > System > Playbar > Remote Control Setup.

Let us know how you get on :)

Hi 

after a reset, it’s all kicked back in, very strange glitch but we are sorted now 

cheers