Skip to main content
Dance music started playing from Sonos last night when we were in bed, at full volume. Checked Alexa commands and it doesn't seem to be Alexa!

What can I do to prevent Sonos waking the family again!!
You need to trouble shoot and determine if it is functioning as expected,

1) Check you don't have any alarms set

2) Do you have a Connect or Connect:Amp and if so is the line-in configured for auto start and if so did that input start the music?

3) If you have a Playbar/Playbase make sure the source of the optical audio didn't automatically switch on.

4) Do you have children/guests who may have started it?

5) Do any neighbours have access?

If the above doesn't help then next time it happens submit a diagnostic and post the number here. Sonos will be able to tell how the music was started.
Stuart,

Doesn't Spotify music app also allow control from outside the local network? i.e. if someone connected while in their home, they could initiate music at a later point without being on the local wifi?
Not sure Bruce. I don’t have Spotify so can’t say. But if that’s the case it’s another thing to check
Laugh. Neither do I, which is why I was asking. Perhaps the OP will enlighten us as to what the source of the music at maximum level was.
Hi Guys

I live in the middle of nowhere in the middle of a field so no one can access my wifi. No alarms set, no connect/connect amp/playbar/playbase, children were in bed and no one else was around. No one else has ever used spotify on sonos at home except my wife and I. Today Alexa keeps beeping and answering questions when no one is talking! So I wonder if there is an Alexa fault?

Rang diagnostics and heres the code 8356614

I will have to turn Sonos off every night until I can assure the wife it won't happen again!

Thanks
Forgot to say it was 1:04 am!!!

Everyone was asleep
If Alexa is talking, then you more than likely have an issue with Amazon, not with Sonos. If it's playing music, it's a Sonos problem.

I don't know how to get in contact with Amazon, but if you need to get in contact with Sonos, try this link contact Sonos .
I would look at your Alexa history on Amazon's website (https://alexa.amazon.com, then go to Settings > History)... see if it has picked up some kind of command to play music.
I would look at your Alexa history on Amazon's website (https://alexa.amazon.com, then go to Settings > History)... see if it has picked up some kind of command to play music.

Good idea. It also looks like there was some use of Spotify, playing directly, is that correct? If so, any chance someone's Spotify app was used on your system and then they took off? If so, their app could have still been connected. You have to play something else on your Sonos players to disconnect the session you had with a Spotify app, otherwise it'll have access even if they aren't on your wifi anymore.
I've checked my alexa history and nothing at that time, they only spotify accounts used on my system are mine and my wifes - we were both asleep and our phones were at home, both on, nothing on spotify even to say the music played! Could the play/pause button on one of the Sonos speakers malfunctioned and started playing what we were listening to last time - I was too asleep to identify the music!

Thanks
Do you have a cat?
Yes. But he was asleep in the other room!
Well, next time it happens, submit a diagnostic and post the reference number here. Sonos can tell you what caused the play command to execute.
Where was HIS phone? 😃
jgatie is right though - there have been a large number of people that have complained about Sonos starting on their own and found it was their cat. I don't know what it is that draws them to Sonos units!
My guess is the warmth of the top of the unit.
Or they put their grubby paws on everything

(yea I obviously don't have a cat)
Do you have a pet cat that could have hopped up on to something that controls the app and accidentally triggered it? Keyboard on a computer or something?
Even just the buttons on top of a speaker can be triggered by a pet... and there's a white light there too to draw them towards it... then the music comes blasting through and they disappear from the scene of the crime! 🙂