Skip to main content

I see that a few people have asked when Sonos will around to compiling their macOS desktop app for Apple Silicon, and the answer given is that Sonos doesn’t talk about forthcoming software releases, but it’s probably not a high priority.

Sure, that’s fine. Who would I be to question their engineering priorities? But, a really good option for people who want an Apple Silicon native app would be to simply run the S2 iOS app in macOS. All you would have to do is open the App Store in macOS and navigate to your account, and the “iPhone & iPad Apps” tab. Only the Sonos S2 doesn’t show up, even though it’s affiliated with the Apple ID that’s logged in.

iOS apps will show up in the App Store on macOS unless the developer specifically disallows them from doing so. There’s no excuse about engineering resources — this is literally flipping a switch to turn something off. Even if you use a workaround and extract the Sonos S2 program itself (as an IPA file), you’ll get an error message if you try to run it on a Mac:

Running the iOS app on Apple Silicon would be a great stopgap for those who have been asking for a native app, *and* it would offer the increased functionality of the mobile app to those users who might want to take advantage of it.

I am assuming the option is disabled because the iOS app doesn’t work on the Mac.

Sonos can you please update your Mac IOS App for the computer. It’s not right that you think everyone uses an ipad or iphone to access their music.