Skip to main content

Hi all...so yep, seen all old info on playlist saving on android phone,so I am aware you cannot.

So my question now is………..

Today i got a sonos 5 (also have a beam) and am looking for a way to not have my PC on to make and save a playlist , and play my music…..…

Bluetooth adaptor and use third party app on my android phone ?,if so recommendation please

Get an old windows tablet/ would that work,…...or windows phone?

At the moment I have ordered a usb c to line in so I believe I can use my phone with 3rd part app that saves playlists “hopefully" .

Just looking for a way to use a small  hand held device to control sonos and have playlists on it.

Any help or advice much appreciated….cheers all.

Hi. Where is the music currently stored? On a computer or mobile device?

At the moment its on a micro sd on my android phone……..but I have a duplicate on my PC

Have you set up your Sonos music library to play the music stored on the computer? (I know you said you didn't want to have your computer on all the time)

What make is your Android phone?

Htc u11 (ordered a specific line in lead) 

I have music on both pc and android phone, I can play music on either but Obvs can't save playlist on android. 

Why can't you save them? You can create Sonos playlists from the tracks stored on your computer, using your phone to create and play them (but your computer will need to be on and awake).

You can also create playlists using the music player on your phone and tbey may then appear as playlists on Sonos under 'on this mobile device'. I say 'may' because it seems to depend on the phone and player as to whether it works. Samsung Music playlists on my Samsung phone are playable on Sonos.

For some reason as commented on in other posts android won't save then on it... Ideally I don't want my pc on at all. 

I can make a playlist on android but it will not save. 

You have a music player on your phone.  Create a playlist of 3 songs, say.. This is not in the Sonos app, it is using a music player on the phone. 

Then go into 'on this mobile device' in the Sonos app and look under Playlists. It should be there (but it doesn't seem to work on every device witb every player.)

Try it.

Also, if you were willing to leave your computer on you would have an easy solution WHICH WOULD STILL BE CONTROLLED BY YOUR PHONE APP.

I'll try this tomorrow playlist wise, but really want my pc off... Will let you know, thank you for the help. 

If it doesn't work with the native HTC music player, try downloading the Samsung Music player from the Play Store and create a test playlist in that. May seem a bit perverse on a HTC phone but you never know.

Hi John, so I've d/loaded the Samsung music player and had some success.

It does save playlists itself, and I can find them on the sonos app, but only if songs are on my actual phone storage, not from the micro sd in the phone.... Still experimenting. 

Also tried the "musicolet" app, my favourite player but that didn't show up on sonos app. 

I'll keep on playing around, but thanks for this. 👍

P. S. Guessing this could also work on a android tablet, which could be great as a stand alone controller in my kitchen? 

OK.  I had a bit of a look and in the Settings for some Android music apps there is one for sharing playlists with other apps. You may want to experiment with that. See screenshot

How about a NAS(Network attached Storage) drive to store all your music, and have a back up on your PC.

I made one from an Odroid kit(Raspberry Pi alike) and an old hard drive.  Cost less than £50.  Hardly uses any power and sits in a cupboard out of sight.

How about a NAS(Network attached Storage) drive to store all your music, and have a back up on your PC.

I made one from an Odroid kit(Raspberry Pi alike) and an old hard drive.  Cost less than £50.  Hardly uses any power and sits in a cupboard out of sight.

Thanks for this,i have thought about nas,but gonna follow Johns idea 1st,and if possible perhaps transfer all music to an old tablet to keep on kitchen worktop,i think it would look cool as a dedicated music hub.

That won't work. A tablet would be just like your phone. Music on a tablet can be played only from the tablet. A NAS would be far superior.

Hmmm... Yeah, I noticed my playlists disappeared from my phone, otherwise it would've been perfect. 😔

Nas idea looks like it could be pricey, but it gives me a clearer picture now. 

Just a thought.... Would a windows tablet work? 

Saving playlists properly ect. 

No. You can't set aSonos Music Library up on a tablet.

Your router doesn't have a USB port does it?

Actually a Windows tablet will work but a NAS would be cheaper and more reliable I would think.  Windows tablets running Windows 10 are just PCs after all.  You’d need a decent sized SD card 

So still looking as nas options but also wondering if to get a cheap windows pc tablet ,and go from that I hope to load my music on pc tablet and create playlists to save ,then using the touchscreen select my music,a bit like a mini jukebox?...but heard controllers are being withdrawn?

Where are you getting your info from.  No the PC controller is not being withdrawn.  It has limited functions, in that you cannot add speakers with it, but otherwise works as a full proper controller.

Don’t understand the second part regarding juekbox.  You can create Sonos playlists on you Android tablet or the PC but you can’t save them elsewhere. 

@freddy 224 .  It seems to me that from the start you haven’t had a clear and accurate picture of what is and isn’t possible regarding playlists on Sonos.  (That isn’t meant as an insult or criticism - I just think it is leading you to some dodgy conclusions.)  I think you might not be making an essential distinction between a device as a store of music files and the app as a controller. If i am doing you an injustice, i apologise.

You create Sonos playlists from within the Sonos app / controller.  You can use the ‘desktop’ controller or mobile controller for this.  You can save tracks from any source  except music actually stored on the mobile device. It could be tracks from a streaming service, or stored on a computer or NAS drive on your network.

The Sonos playlists are not stored in the app.  They are stored on the speakers, so that they are available to play from any controller.  (What is stored is actually a list of filepaths and web links, not the music files themselves.)

As i said, you cannot save tracks actually stored on your phone in this type of playlist.

If you really want playlists that use tracks stored on a mobile device, you have to take a totally different approach.  You have to create the playlists using a music player on the phone, outside of Sonos.  Then you can access those playlists in Sonos under ‘on this mobile device’.  At least, that is how it is supposed to work, but it doesn’t seem to be very reliable.

So what you should do is buy a NAS, and put your music files on it.  Set up a Sonos Music Library pointing to the NAS music folder.  Then create your Sonos playlists from those tracks using any controller you want.  You will then be able to add to, edit and play those playlists using any of your controllers, whether desktop or mobile.  If you decide to do anything else, it will be a mistake.

PS.  For ‘NAS’ you could substitute ‘your current computer’ if you were willing to leave it powered on and awake, but i think a NAS is better.

No not offended at all,i am not really tech savvy

Hence my questions on the forum …...gotta learn somehow..

So just an update...... 

Got a 2nd hand windows tablet, transferred all music to it, set up sonos, all good, playlist saving ect. 

Thanks for all help and advice.