Skip to main content

Since V12 of Sonos S2 I have no end of problems. The first and most obvious one is that the software doesn’t even recognise it is at the latest version. I have a Samsung Note8 and the Sonos S2 System version I have downloaded is 12.1.2.

Ok - go to add a music system and it comes up with the attached message. Obviously hit the update button (even though the software reports it is at Version 12.1.2) and it checks Sonos for updates and ‘there was a problem during the update of your system’ message appears - now before any Sonos guru replies yes I have reloaded, rebooted every possible software, speaker, boost and router I have - the default goto answer for any Sonos problem - just shows how flaky this software is!!!

If the software doesn’t even recognise its own version level there has got to be some basic programming issues going on rather than blaming wireless/ethernet connection issues

Hi @Manicjab, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for sharing your feedback. We’re sorry your experience didn’t match your expectations. Let me help you with this.

First, I'd like to ask some questions to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

1. Have you tried force closing the Sonos app and re-open it? 
2. Did you try to reset the Sonos app from your mobile device?
In the Sonos app > Settings > App Preferences > Reset App
3. Do you experience the same on other mobile devices?

If you have performed the steps above and you're still having the same issue, please proceed to the next troubleshooting steps:

1. Uninstall the Sonos app from your iOS device.
2. Check for the mobile device software updates. 
3. Turn off and on your iOS device.
4. Download and Install the Sonos app from the App store.
5. Open the Sonos app and connect to your existing system.

Please submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above. We'll wait for your reply.

Hi Rowena,

Answers to your points -

1. YES several times
  2. YES several times
  3. YES and my PC

Second Part -

Have uninstalled the app multiple times, yes my device O/S is up to date, have rebooted several times and the issue is about trying to connect to an existing system.

I only wish I could send a diagnostic report - only the app won’t let me!!!!!

Please all of you support people take note of what ebveryone is saying about the S2 app and go and beat on the doors of the software developers until they write a decent bit of code.

My issues are nothing to do with wifi/internet connectios - I use several hundred apps on PC and android and guess what it is only the Sonos S2 app that continually fails to do what it should do and seemingly hundreds of user now have useless bits of hardware sitting around their house because of this. WAKE UP SONOS AND FIX!!!!!!

Have now set up a new account, factory reset all my devices … and guess what - now won’t let me register these devices to my new account - DOES ANYTHING WORK WITH THIS APP??????

What happens if you go into Settings, System, and tap Check for Updates?  (If you can get there, that is, but I think that should be possible.)

Edit Sorry - just read on and saw that you took the ill-advised step of factory resetting everything.  So ignore that suggestion.  I had been wondering what version your system was on (different from app version) but now that is irrelevant.

Factory resetting and creating a new account has only made things worse.  Can you go back to using your original account?  If you have factory reset everything you will have to set up a new system from scratch.

As to your question ‘does anything work with this app?’.  I can only answer from my personal experience, and say ‘everything, for me, without a hitch’.

Hi John,

Ill advised???? If I could get pass the software not recognising its own version therefore not allowing me to do anything but it didn’t and therefore my only recourse was to reset everything, setup a new account and start over.

Why is it not possible to register / deregister devices online (i.e. not through the app) as on my old account I can still see two of my devices registered (even though I have factory reset them) and I can’t register my third device to my new account through the app because it keeps failing blaming internet connection - which as I have mentioned is working fine, is extremely fast and no other apps or electronic devices connected (whether through direct or wifi) has any issues.

I work in the electronics industry and feel sorry for the hardware engineers as the speakers are great but as we say in the industry they might as well be well crafted ashtrays if you can’t use them - so software engineers sort out all of these growing complaints from everyone

Unfortunately for your argument, there must be millions of Sonos users worldwide now on S2 and using it without problems. There would be thousands of posts on here complaining if it were otherwise.

What is registered on the account is TOTALLY irrelevant. Speakers stay on the account until they are registered to another account by being installed on another system. This has zero effect on your system.

The alternative to factory resetting was to call Sonos Support and get them to look at your system.

This is probably still your best course of action. 

I suspect, but cannot be sure, that there was some sort of incompatibility between your app and system versions, and that the error message you got was flagging a problem but not describing it accurately. We shall never know, because you destroyed the evidence.

Hi John,

Please don’t be so presumptious about what I have done - I have called and been with customer support more than once - spent over 3 hours in one session without getting anything resolved - I have better things to do with my life! (oh and the try and get out clause is always reboot router, reboot device, reload software - not a good advertisement for a supposedly well written robust piece of software).

Millions of people happy? again unsubstantiated - but I do know having read a lots of reviews on this site and the app site that there is a big swathe of unhappy users since the introduction of S2 (and they probably are the tip of the iceberg as I know lots of people who have just switched to other systems/apps).

I am happy that S2 is working for you fine - but for a lot of people its not and I hpope the CEO of Sonos gets to read these and put some pressure on resolving the issues that have been highlighted

And by the way your quote - ‘ There would be thousands of posts on here complaining if it were otherwise’.

Have you seen the score rating of 3.7 for Sonos S2 - 14,310 reviews …. check out the proportion of 1 & 2 star ratings and all of their issues!