Skip to main content

I use the latest Sonos S2 controller on a Macbook Pro (Intel 13”, 2020) the latest version of OS X (11.4), and recently noticed that the controller becomes unresponsive when I connect my computer to an external monitor (or disconnect from one). I can then force quit to exit the app, and everything works when I open it again, but another display switch and it often happens again.

Anyone else seeing this?

Steps:

1. Open Sonos S2 controller, everything works
  2. Connect to an external monitor
  3. Sonos app may now be in the “Application is not responding” state (but not 100% of the time)
  4. Right click on the dock icon to Force Quit
  5. App flashes quickly (looks like it becomes responsive for a moment) and exits
  6. Open Sonos S2, everything works

Try connecting to external monitor before opening Sonos.

Try connecting to external monitor before opening Sonos.

Oh yeah, that’s a workaround for sure, but still would be great if they fixed this issue - I usually just have the Sonos app open all day.

Not having that issue at all with either an intel mac, or an m1 mac. But i don’t frequently disconnect the external monitor, either.

Next time it happens, you may want to submit a system diagnostic immediately after getting S2 back up and running, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic from the crash that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

All that being said, they’re really not doing much with the desktop apps at this point, in favor of the mobile apps. So there’s no real guaranty that even if they can reproduce/figure out what’s going on, that they’d fix it.