Skip to main content

The Sonos S2 App has a connection to the Sonos-System, but not to the internet, so an update of the controller is not possible, a connection to spotify or TuneIn within the controller is not possible etc.

Used system: macOS 12.4

Used Sonos S2 App: Vers. 14.8

Has anyone an idea how to solve this issue?

Get an internet connection.

@jgatie :??

I’ve an internet connection, only the Sonos-App gets no connection to the internet-services.

And let me say it now: The firewall is down, everything works fine with the Sonos S2 App on iOS, also on my second mac on macOS, but not on my MacBook Pro (which has an internet connection!), which is also well connected to the speakers.

I’ve deinstalled the App, restarted the Mac, installed the newest Sonos S2 App Vers. 14.8 and nothing changed.

So I would like to invite you to help me - in best case without destructive answers like “get an internet connection”. Thank you very much.

The app connects to the internet by being on a device that is connected to the internet.  There is really nothing in the Sonos app that can be changed to bring about a connection.

Note that your devices don’t have an internet connection.  They have a connection to your LAN, and hence your router, and the router has a connection to the internet via a modem.

What sort of network do you have?

@no.idea Maybe @jgatie misunderstood your explanation of your problem? Reading it, it seems possible to read that the system does not have an internet connection, especially since many users confuse the app with the system itself.

As I understand it now you own two Mac computers and on one of them the Sonos app does not connect to the internet? Am I right?

This does look like a rights issue to me. Have you given the app the right to access the internet? Not sure if this is possible - I’m an iOS user but do not own any Macs.

@John B: Just because you believe that something doesn't exist, it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. The device is connected to the internet and I’m sending this message to you right now from this device.

@106rallye: You are right, there are two Macs, an iPad, three iPhones and on one of the two Macs the Sonos app does not connect to the internet. Your idea seems very interesting, but I don’t know how to go further.

Best regards.

I think there’s a misunderstanding, at least partially, as to how Sonos works. The controller on the Mac is merely a remote control that contacts the app running on the Sonos devices for data. It is not a ‘player’ in itself.  This means that if the controller is showing the speakers, there’s a LAN set up.

However, if the speakers can’t see ‘the internet’, there will be no services shown, and while they could play local content, on an NAS or local hard drive, they wouldn’t be able to reach out for streaming content. 

The troubling thing is you’re suggesting things are working fine with one controller and not with another. If both controllers are showing the speakers, and one works, but the other doesn’t, then there is something really odd going on, because all of the ‘heavy lifting’ is done at the speaker level, and not on the controller.

Can you be more specific about your network setup, including connections for the various Macs and iOS devices, both that are working as well as those that are not? Also, could you be specific about what music source is working on one machine, and not the other? Honestly, the greater the amount of data you provide will help us build a mental image of your setup, and hopefully get us to a point where we can give you a pointer as to what we think is going on.

Conversely, you could just submit two diagnostics, one from a device that works, one from a device that doesn’t, and contact Sonos support directly with those two diagnostic numbers, and they should be able to ascertain the issue by comparing the two. 

@Airgetlam: Thank you very much. I’m going to contact the Sonos support directly in the way you’ve suggested.

The issue could be solved by the Support.

The problem was, that there were to much DNS-Server-addresses on the MacBook Pro, so something struggled. The reduction to one DNS-Server-address (here: 8.8.8.8) was the solution.

Many thanks to all who wanted to help me.