Answered

Sonos S2

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

180 replies

what hi res service are you using? 

The 24 bit files I’m playing are stored locally. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

It appears that Sonos’ definition of “hi res” is 24 bit - I can now play 24 bit files as long as the sample rate is no higher than 48Khz.  .

I’m not seeing that on my system. Still converting to 16-bit, although I guess I could need a roon update before it works....

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I can play Hi-Res now! And it seems it supports SMB higher than v1

Any details what and how?

I play local Hi-Res [24 bit] files fine now, which was not possible earlier. But NO support for SMB higher than v1.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I can play Hi-Res now! But no support for SMB higher than v1

Didn’t it do that before? Only truncating it to work?

Read something about that earlier on the forum...

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

To update on Android:

FIRST you have to update the existing Sonos app from the Play Store. It updates the app to be called Sonos S1. 

NEXT you have to Check for Updates under System / System Updates

Your system will then update to 11.2.

NEXT, go to System and you should see System Tools either there or under System Updates.

This prompts you to check for S2 compatibility. If your system is S2 compatible, it will prompt you to update to S2, which starts with a new app from the Play Store (which you won't find with a search). 

Once you have the new Sonos app installed, log in and go to System Updates again to update your system to S2.

Then delete the S1 app if you have no requirement for it. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I keep getting this error on my Mac. Extremely frustrating!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I can play Hi-Res now! But no support for SMB higher than v1

Didn’t it do that before? Only truncating it to work?

Read something about that earlier on the forum...

You know, I think you are right. The only Hi-res files that plays for me is 24 bit 44-48.
Not 24/96 or 24/196

It appears that Sonos’ definition of “hi res” is 24 bit - I can now play 24 bit files as long as the sample rate is no higher than 48Khz.  .

I’m not seeing that on my system. Still converting to 16-bit, although I guess I could need a roon update before it works....

All I know is that the native apps (Desktop and Android) both refuse to play anything higher than 24/48.  For all I know the 24/48 is being converted to 14/44.1 within the speaker, but I’d doubt it, on the basis that it would be equally straightforward to convert 24/96.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I can play Hi-Res now! And it seems it supports SMB higher than v1

Any details what and how?

I play local Hi-Res [24 bit] files fine now, which was not possible earlier. But NO support for SMB higher than v1.

Hmmm my 96 kHz/24 bit FLAC files still don’t play :grimacing:

I think the thing to try next is… uninstall the existing App and then install the new one and choose the option to connect to the ‘existing' sonos system. See if that does the trick.

I think the thing to try next is… uninstall the existing App and then install the new one and choose the option to connect to the ‘existing' sonos system. See if that does the trick.

The correct DCR links aren’t up yet at support.sonos.com.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thanks!  I had become frustrated (which often results in impatience).  Uninstalling and starting with a fresh download was the answer!

I am not suggesting it can run both.  Definitely not.  It wil only be visible in one of them. I just want to know if having a speaker on S2 means it can never then be used back in your S1 system.

How Sonos dealt with this in the past is not necessarily the same - I don't see switching as an upgrade/downgrade scenario - just moving a speaker that is compatible with both OS's between them.

It’s NOT possible to switch between S1 and S2 at will. You’ll have to make your mind up whether you want to migrate to S2 or not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

So many very keen owners out there; I’m sure when Sonos “officially” release the versions it will come with a full Announcement and release notes! I’ve not seen that yet… (unless I missed it?)

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

The correct DCR links aren’t up yet at support.sonos.com.

That was indeed a big part of the problem.  Download link now seems to grab the correct one. On my Mac, this was the dmg file name I needed:  58.1-77280-1-4.dmg

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Is there an S2 app for Mac?  

Also, I’ve updated my equipment, splitting off the S1 devices from the S2 ones.  Both iPhone apps kicked off a music library reindex.  The S2 has finished, but the S1 is still going quite some time after the S2 completed.  Is this expected, or has something gone wrong?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Found it, on Android you need to go to System > System Tools, not System Update. There’s an option there to check compatibilty

When I do that, I only get the option to go to version 11.1, which is the version previous to the one I updated this morning. :thinking:

So I just went and downloaded the S2 from the app strore, that tool me to the 11.1 update page again, so I went with that and ran the the update.

And now it all works fine on S2.

I’m not sure why people are expecting Hi-Res audio  or DD+ on the Beam today.  In the case of the Beam, it’s never been promised.  For Hi-Res, Sono has hinted it was coming but never said it was going to happen today.  I get why people want it ASAP, but I tend to think the S1/S2 and 3 additional new products in the matter of 3 days is a quite a bit to deal with from a support perspective. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I am not suggesting it can run both.  Definitely not.  It wil only be visible in one of them. I just want to know if having a speaker on S2 means it can never then be used back in your S1 system.

How Sonos dealt with this in the past is not necessarily the same - I don't see switching as an upgrade/downgrade scenario - just moving a speaker that is compatible with both OS's between them.

It’s NOT possible to switch between S1 and S2 at will. You’ll have to make your mind up whether you want to migrate to S2 or not.

Completely wrong and verified by ratty.  An S1/S2 compatible speaker can mover from S1 to S2 and back again.

As you have stated this as fact  in many places though, maybe you will correct it to avoid confusion?

Also, I’ve updated my equipment, splitting off the S1 devices from the S2 ones.  Both iPhone apps kicked off a music library reindex.  The S2 has finished, but the S1 is still going quite some time after the S2 completed.  Is this expected, or has something gone wrong?

For a while, legacy devices have been unable to do a incremental update, and used to off-load the indexing to a newer device.  Since it can no longer off-load, it has to do a complete scan. 

See Ratty’s previous post.  He was able to switch a speaker between S1 and S2 without issue.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

For a while, legacy devices have been unable to do a incremental update, and used to off-load the indexing to a newer device.  Since it can no longer off-load, it has to do a complete scan. 

I never knew that.  Thanks for the quick response.

The time to index will depend on the CPU horsepower of the ‘Associated Product’ -- which does the actual work -- and the bandwidth of its connection to the library storage.

This is the link to to the latest Mac OS desktop S2 version:
https://update-firmware.sonos.com/firmware/Prod/58.1-77280-v12.0-jajuoi-GA-1/58.1-77280-1-4.dmg

Completely wrong and verified by ratty.  An S1/S2 compatible speaker can mover from S1 to S2 and back again.

As you have stated this as fact  in many places though, maybe you will correct it to avoid confusion?

I’ve been told otherwise by Sonos support. We’ll see. To be accurate, I’ve been told that it is not possible to perform a downgrade from S2 to S1.