Answered

Sonos S2

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

180 replies

Badge +1

In the UK, I followed the instructions in jcway’s post and found the iOS App Store link here:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/sonos/id1488977981

Just upgrading now.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Installed and running S2 now. Thx.

Anybody has an external DAC digitally connected to his Connect or Port with a display to show the source quality?

Anybody has an external DAC digitally connected to his Connect or Port with a display to show the source quality?

It wouldn’t be particularly meaningful. ZP80/ZP90/Connect/Port digital output has always been 24-bit.

It wouldn’t be particularly meaningful. ZP80/ZP90/Connect/Port digital output has always been 24-bit.

True. So we can only know if anything happened by analyzing the signal, right? I remember some graphs on this forum with not all the bits filled if I’m not mistaken. 

True. So we can only know if anything happened by analyzing the signal, right? I remember some graphs on this forum with not all the bits filled if I’m not mistaken. 

You’d have to capture the digital output in Fixed Volume and examine the lowest byte to see if it’s non-zero when playing a 24-bit source.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Any news on what that exactly changed? Looks the same to me?

Installing S2 with Android (S2 not available yet in Google Play store):

1. install windows version of S2 software
  2. Upgrade speakers to S2 in with Windows software
  3. Start S1 app on Android
  4. Answer question in Android app that you want to upgrade to S2
  5. S2 version will be installed from App store

Worked for me.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Yep, all upgraded now - no sign of the app for Mac OS yet, but done to iPhone/ipad

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

For anyone who has upgraded their system (and speakers) to S2, what now appears in the S1 app (for speakers that are S1 & S2 compatible?  If they aren't there, is there a way to add them back?

Speakers that are S2 and S1 compatible can still run only one version at a time. Speakers that have been upgraded to S2 will not show in the S1 app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thanks.  If you do a factory reset on an S1/S2 compatible speaker can it be added to the S1 setup?

Were you given any warning on changing from S1 to S2 that speakers wouldn't be available in S1 and anything about ‘splitting’?

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Just downloaded it. Is that it? That’s what they have been rabbiting on about for 6 months!? A slightly different colour scheme? Colour scheme aside it’s identical to the old app!

Was this really worth this whole split your system? What am I missing here? It’s the same!

AND STILL NO DARK THEME!!!

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

you can setup your own groups now, so for example all downstairs speakers, or all upstairs speakers etc, 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I had to disavow any knowledge of my Gen 1 speakers

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

any sign of the Mac OS S2 app

The new “Group” thing is the only new thing i found.

But you still can’t use the Group for an alarm :(

No improvement in audio quality for beam i.e not even DD+. So disappointed, what's the point in this update for non arc users...

Thanks.  If you do a factory reset on an S1/S2 compatible speaker can it be added to the S1 setup?

Were you given any warning on changing from S1 to S2 that speakers wouldn't be available in S1 and anything about ‘splitting’?

The need to split systems and that S2 units are not visible on S1 and vice versa has been discussed on these forums extensively.

And no, a factory reset does not rollback software updates.

Just downloaded it. Is that it? That’s what they have been rabbiting on about for 6 months!? A slightly different colour scheme? Colour scheme aside it’s identical to the old app!

Was this really worth this whole split your system crap? What am I missing here? It’s the same!

AND STILL NO DARK THEME!!!

The S2 platform will form the new groundwork for any future feature updates. Besides the custom grouping feature, Sonos never promised anything concrete that would be available straight out the gate. Only some vague statements about what this new platform might enable, like codec support and higher bandwidth.

The hype is in your - and everyone else's - head.

Let's hope the nuts and bolts underneath have changed sufficiently to make more exciting things possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I understand the splitting of S1 and S2 systems. I also understand that restoring a system to Factory settings does not restore the OS to as it was when it left the factory.

That does not answer how Sonos have chosen to deal with speakers that are compatible with both OS's - we are in a different world now with two separate software streams - I don't think viewing S2 as an upgrade is necessarily right - it's a different OS and technically I imagine it could be made that when you add a new device to S1 it could install whatever it wants - these devices have more space than previous ones and could make use of this space.  If they don't that is a conscious decision, not a technical one.

Sonos have rolled out an new OS but don't appear to be in hand to answer these questions - and have chosen not to answer them over the last weeks too.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Is this update out? My iOS app updated to Sonos S1 and it updated my speakers to what looks to be S1 OS. I have a Playbar, Sub (Gen2), and two Sonos Ones as surrounds so everything should be able to update.

BTW, I don’t see the S2 app in the Apple App store.

Badge

I'm in the UK and have just updated to S2. I navigated to it via the Sonos compatibility checker as it didn't show up via Check for Updates.

Besides PCs, how many consumer electronics devices do you know that can run two full OS' simultaneously?

Without knowing all of the technical details, how can you possibly say this could be feasible on Sonos hardware? It is not just about available memory or storage.

To me, it has always been crystal clear that a device would run either S1 or S2 and be accessible in the corresponding app.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I'm in UK and have play 5's 1st and 2nd gen and  I am using android.  I have updated but it still says S1.  

How do I update to s2?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I am not suggesting it can run both.  Definitely not.  It wil only be visible in one of them. I just want to know if having a speaker on S2 means it can never then be used back in your S1 system.

How Sonos dealt with this in the past is not necessarily the same - I don't see switching as an upgrade/downgrade scenario - just moving a speaker that is compatible with both OS's between them.