Skip to main content

Daar Sonos user,

Please try to explain, in simple manner, how to use Sonos S1 system and Sonos S2 system, at the same time, for different speakers, in one house

Thanks, 

Bertus

If by "at the same time" you mean playing the same thing in sync on both systems, you cannot.  You can have both in the same household.  See this link:  https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/set-up-separate-s1-and-s2-sonos-systems

@Bertusdebokser The Dutch language forum  is over here: https://nl.community.sonos.com/

Hi JGatie,

Thanks for your advice.

I tried to follow the instructions of given link.

But it was not possible to remove all my components from the Sonos network by the Sonos S1 app.

Some components, (a.o. Move) were not detected by the S1 remove app.

So I reset all my components and disconected them from the power.

Then I started with the Sonos S2 app, to get my new Sonos One SL connected.

It can be connected by an Ethernet cable.

But if I want to use my wireless network, there is no connection possible.

Even if I  reduced the distance between Android telephone and speaker to 0 cm, there is no connection made.

What to do now.

Hi 106ralley,

This afternoon I will have a look at your link

Yesterday evening it took my two hours, this morning another two hours and still "simple”speaker not connected to my network. This is not what Sonos promised then.

I succeeded in syncing my S1 and S2 components in a fairly simple way.  I used the optical output on my Connect S1 (available on ebay for under $80 if you don’t have one) as the input to my ARC Sound bar (S2). The ARC Sound Bar comes with an optical to HDMI conversion dongle (or you can buy one for cheap on Amazon). I inserted the dongle into the optical out on the Connect (s1), then connected an HDMI to that and ran it to the HDMI input on the ARC. It works perfectly. S2 ARC Sound bar turns itself on when I start the S1 Connect. I use the S1 app to group S1 components to the Connect or the S2 App to group S2 components with the ARC Sound Bar. Of course, the S1 app is where I pick the music (spotify, hard drive, xm, etc.).

The only tiny inconvenience is that in order to keep my TV connected to the ARC Sound bar at the same time, I had to buy and HDMI switch ($25 on Amazon).  So, I run 1 hdmi cord from my tv and 1 from the Connect S1 to the inputs of the switch and then another HDMi from the switch’s  output to the ARC Sound Bar input.  Some of these switches are fancy and have auto switching or remote controls, but mine just has a little button I have to push. Note that if you do this, you want to make sure any switches or hdmi cables you purchase can handle the data speed you need (4K tv @ 120hz and atmos, etc. in my case).  The switch also needs to be handle hdmi (ARC/eARC) input from the tv.  It is usually pretty clear on the Amazon title what they can do.

Hope this helps!  I assume it would work on any S2 hdmi or optical inputs using the S1 Connect optical output, but the ARC Sound bar is the only one I’ve tried so far.

I succeeded in syncing my S1 and S2 components in a fairly simple way.  I used the optical output on my Connect S1 (available on ebay for under $80 if you don’t have one) as the input to a Ray Sound bar (S2). It works perfectly. S2 Ray Sound bar turns itself on when I start the S1 Connect. I use the S1 app to group S1 components to the Connect or the S2 App to group S2 components with the Ray. Of course, the S1 app is where I pick the music (spotify, hard drive, xm, etc.).

The only tiny inconvenience is that you would need an optical switch ($25 in Amazon) to connect both your tv and the sonos connect at the same time.

Note also that the ray is one of the least expensive sonos speakers, so even if you don’t use it or need it in any room, it is probably still worth the $200 just to get the connection between s1 and s2.  You coukd always just mute the Ray if you wanted to.

Hope this helps!  I assume it would work on any S2 hdmi or optical inputs using the S1 Connect optical output, but the Ray and ARC Sound bar is the only ones I’ve tried so far. Note that if you try to use an hdmi switch on the Sonos ARC, it will not work well. It seemingly needs to connect direct to the tv for eARC.  The optical input on the Ray is easier.