Skip to main content

With the new Sonos radio source, can anyone note the quality of the streams?  Granted much of this is source dependent (the radio stations that encode their streams), but was wondering if, in relative terms to TuneIn, this would be better quality?  Or is the intention that it’s just better integrated than TuneIn and more stable streams?  Otherwise, the curation alone is a tough way to distinguish from other services.

The article I saw on the Verge suggested it was only 180k. Since I haven’t seen the update that carries this stream, it’s hard to comment more.

The Verge:

Sonos Radio streams at 128kbps, which is a little disappointing considering that the company has full control over both service and speaker hardware. There’s only so much you can do with live local radio streams, but I would’ve liked to see a higher quality for Sonos Presents and Sonos Stations.

It’s 128kbps AAC. I’ve only sampled ‘Sound System’, but the sound quality is underwhelming, with noticeable compression artefacts, ‘warbling’ for example.

As a comparison, the BBC streams at 320kbps AAC. At this data rate there are essentially no audible compression artefacts, and it takes skill and very good equipment to differentiate it from uncompressed original sources. The same would be true for Apple Music at 256kbps AAC.

Perhaps this is just a launch data rate and it will be improved in future. I hope so, because Sonos Radio is a nice idea.

I uded “Delta Grunge Radio Station” both in Tune-in and on Sonos Radio.

The sound quality in Sonos Radio it’s a litle disapointing.

Hope they improve this.