Sonos for Apple Watch

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

266 replies

After a few hours with apple watch, no doubt that Sonos control app is needed.
+1 on the apple watch app
Come on sonos... Would be a great addition to the control
Apple watch support please.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They did post on Thursday.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
It would be nice if Sonos communicated with us occasionally - feels like we are talking to ourselves all the time which I don't expect for an expensive product like Sonos....  
@MarkM read the whole thread and you'll see sonos have responded - like others we want to see sonos working on the Apple "Watch" but for now we will have to wait and see what happens.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
My assumption from the communication the other day is that Apple Watch is on their radar.  I would imagine in seeing how Sonos operates they would not think of full development of the app until they had an apple watch in their hands for testing (and then in hands of users for beta testing).  If in fact they are looking to develop an Apple Watch remote app I would say minimum 3 months from now and that would probably only be to beta.  Not wanting to be a negative nancy but I haven't seen Sonos go through the development stages any more swiftly in past.
Yes!!! Sonos on Apple Watch would be just the thing
They did post on Thursday.
Add another Sonos user to the "Please develop an Apple Watch App" list. Would be a great fit.  
any news?
Hello Sonos, anybody out there? What's the status?
Userlevel 3
Dear JotWee, please read the thread. "News" was posted last Thursday by a Sonos representative. I doubt that the situation has dramatically changed since then.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
+1 on the apple watch app
If they are working on they will not confirm.... they just don't comment on future plans.
Userlevel 3
Read the thread!! The status is in there!!! Also read the post just above yours!! Jeez!
"Anybody" posted a status last Thrusday.  Now I know that doesn't meet the "WE NEED HOURLY UPDATES FOR MY FAVORITE NEW FUNCTION!!!  ZOMG!!" standard, but I think less than a week later is a little too soon to be clamoring for a new status.
OK - so we have three apple watches in the household and used them in anger from Friday evening its my opinion that this will be a great way to control Sonos. Having said that I think the post from Chris saying that its a 3 month development plan is probably correct. Where Chris I think is wrong is that the watch SDK was made available to many technology companies way before the release of the watch, many companies had allocated resources to work on the development and a number of them had the privilege to receive an emulator (similar to that in the apple stores demonstrating the watch apps).... so development could (and in my opinion should) have been underway.

If I look at the competition for Sonos (Bose for example) they have firmly placed themselves in the airplay camp and as such control of the Bose systems works through Apple's associated way of playing music.... I guess for me the two are therefore related - no true Apple airplay support and a lack of watch app is a great disappointment.

Don't get me wrong - I love the Sonos gear, it works fantastically in my house and zones well with everyone able to control and use it as they see fit..... but (and I run a technology company) if you are positioning yourselves as a company as Sonos do they must embrace technology like the watch much quicker ...... I won't change my view that the stuff is very well made and easy to connect and sounds fantastic but a little innovation goes a long way.

Just my opinion so don't shoot me!
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
OK - so we have three apple watches in the household and used them in anger from Friday evening its my opinion that this will be a great way to control Sonos. Having said that I think the post from Chris saying that its a 3 month development plan is probably correct. Where Chris I think is wrong is that the watch SDK was made available to many technology companies way before the release of the watch, many companies had allocated resources to work on the development and a number of them had the privilege to receive an emulator (similar to that in the apple stores demonstrating the watch apps).... so development could (and in my opinion should) have been underway.

If I look at the competition for Sonos (Bose for example) they have firmly placed themselves in the airplay camp and as such control of the Bose systems works through Apple's associated way of playing music.... I guess for me the two are therefore related - no true Apple airplay support and a lack of watch app is a great disappointment.

Don't get me wrong - I love the Sonos gear, it works fantastically in my house and zones well with everyone able to control and use it as they see fit..... but (and I run a technology company) if you are positioning yourselves as a company as Sonos do they must embrace technology like the watch much quicker ...... I won't change my view that the stuff is very well made and easy to connect and sounds fantastic but a little innovation goes a long way.

Just my opinion so don't shoot me!

I won't shoot you as I agree with you. sonos are good at what they make and do and I've even been told that by another audio manufacturer "Arcam". However they need to innovate and lead the way in development of not just their products but their controller software. For me, sonos are like Apple "It just works" but that's where the comparison ends. I think they are behind on new products like the over requested Portable/Outdoor speaker and features requested for the controller. sonos haven't said they aren't making this feature, I don't own an Apple Watch but have added my plus one as I think it would be a great selling point to control sonos via the Watch.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos definitely moves on a very slow conservative pace whe it comes to software .... Good and bad. Hardware they told to stick to their core and can't blame them. as conservative as they normally are with software why I think they didn't devote much to Apple watch until release. I still stand by my 3 month prediction. However for simple function once Apple allows direct apps that don't interface with smartphone I'm sure we will see a third party remote. That is really what is needed and not supported yet by Apple.
Userlevel 3
The WatchKit and iOS 8.2 Beta was made available in November 2014 for (all!) developers. That is 5 1/2 months before the watch launched. Plenty of time for watch development, especially since programming for the watch seems more like programming for what can be seen in the notification area.

3.500 watch-enabled apps (up to now) were created without any hardware (as Tim Cook said yesterday in his earnings call) and are running on more and more Apple Watches as we speak.

I am not sure since when the emulator was available, but it seemed to be more than enough time for many app developers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I didn't say they couldn't do. I said they historically have not and obviously haven't. It would be better though to be a remote app that didn't have to go through iPhone. Which can't be done now as far as I have heard.
Userlevel 3
Chris, that is right. A stand-alone remote would be way nicer but is indeed not possible right now.

An add-on however seems (as I said) to be comparably easy to do and all the work which is done for the add-on doesn't need to be done for the standalone watch app.
This is a need and not a want
Here is another loyal customer requesting an Apple watch app! I'd be hesitant to continue purchasing speakers and slow to recommend them to others if there was a decision to not create an app for the Apple watch. 
Sonos should be very proud of having such a unique, intelligent, and loyal following!  I have never seen a forum that is filled with as many constructive ideas and positive criticism.   I find forums to be the best endorsement OR disparagement for consumer/ prosumer products and the companies that manufacturer or sell these products.

I’ve had several friends recommend SONOS but I had way too much invested in multi zone amps with digital keypads in every room etc…. However, as a result of these recommendations I visited the Sonos website and decided to upgrade, mostly as a result of reading the comments made by members of the Sonos community. My original Connect purchase turned into, 1 Sonos Amp, which turned into 2 Sonos Amps, which turned into 5 Sonos Amps, then a Play1 for my kid’s bathroom.  I wasn’t in the market for any audio equipment, and the above happened over the course of a weekend, but what was so amazing to me is everything just worked!!!!   

Visiting forums of any given consumer oriented company, on any given topic and you can almost count on 90% of them have a third of the users which are trying to be helpful, the other third tries to comment and have product suggestions based on opinions for which the laws of physics, engineering, or common sense don’t apply…  The final third tries to either disagree with everyone who commented previously or use the forum as a place to offload aggression at people or topics without having anything constructive to say.   It is refreshing, that this is not the case with Sonos.  Most everyone seems to have an understanding of reality and agree on almost everything!  

Sonos seems to have the best hardware in the business.  However the software side has room for improvement: Users are telling the company exactly what to do.  The only questions is why the delay? There were no improvement suggestions that I saw which were contested by other users, or impractical, in fact almost every suggestion was embraced by other users.

As I have seen some other users own their businesses or run their organizations they work for, I am certain they would agree… I would love if my customers would tell me exactly (with the level of detail in this forum) what to do to improve my company in order to get more of their business!!!   This data is invaluable. 

So:  Apple watch app: Sonos I can’t understand why you’d be so ambiguous with your response on this.  Clearly the Apple Watch goes hand and hand with your product. The SDK has been out since November and I can’t imagine you haven’t been working on it.

There are so many other great suggestions in this forum that are mere tweaks to the current software. 

Crossfade improvements:

Multizone improvements:

Home screen access to Controller:

etc… 

Thanks for manufacturing a great product. Thanks in advance for dedicating the necessary resources to provide your users with the Apple Watch App soon, as well as to continually make improvements to the applications that control your hardware. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well thought out post.  It would be nice if Sonos was more forthcoming on future plans..they are a little more these days but not by much.  Of course when you see companies come in like Denon and their HEOS system trying to copy Sonos item by item you start realizing what pushes them to secrecy so much.  Plus they like they do what they say they are going to do (and don't say otherwise) - which other companies, like Denon HEOS, promise things then its a wait and see if ever actually happens.
Another watch user hoping for a Sonos update here.