sonos controller installer failed to download. lost connection with server

• 10 November 2023
  • 10 replies

Badge

“sonos controller installer failed to download. lost connection with server”

I realize this has been an ongoing bug with the Sonos Controller S2 app for years, It started after the release of the S2 version. I’m just wondering if Sonos support will ever try to resolve the problem. The workaround continues to be to download the latest controller app, install it, then run the Update Now to push updates to the devices. This same problem occurs on any of the three PCs I run the controller from. 

10 replies

Badge

Seems to be an issue with the hosting service today. 

nslookup update-software.sonos.com
Server:  dns.sse.cisco.com
Address:  208.67.222.222

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    e7788.b.akamaiedge.net
Address:  104.90.19.43
Aliases:  update-software.sonos.com
          ssl.sonos.com-dsa.edgekey.net
          ssl.sonos.com-dsa.edgekey.net.globalredir.akadns.net

ping update-software.sonos.com

Pinging e7788.b.akamaiedge.net [104.90.19.43] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

I don’t recognise this as an “ongoing bug”, and I’ve used the Windows desktop controller for 16 years.

If it’s happening to all the PCs on your network I’d suspect the internet connection and/or whatever security software is running on the PCs.

Badge

It is an ongoing bug here in my region. My Internet is fine. I manage networks for a living.

Monitoring the IP for the download server, it suddenly started replying.

Reply from 104.90.19.43: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=53
Reply from 104.90.19.43: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=53

I got the download. Tried the update from the controller app, it appeared that it was attempting a download for quite some time then produced the expected “Lost connection with server.” error Back to the manual install/update method.

All I can say is that I’m able to ping 104.90.19.43 repeatedly without any problem.

Badge

Could someone please help to guide me to the download link.  I’m somehow missing it - it can’t be that hard to find but I can’t find anything that leads to software downloads, or controller software on the website.

Could someone please help to guide me to the download link.  I’m somehow missing it - it can’t be that hard to find but I can’t find anything that leads to software downloads, or controller software on the website.

Search "Sonos downloads" perhaps?

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/downloads

Badge

Search "Sonos downloads" perhaps?

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/downloads

Thank you! That’s what I needed!! 

@Sonos, please put a downloads link in th menus so it’s easy to find

I went to sonos.com and clicked on “support” (as one usually does). Scroll down the page, and there’s “Download the Sonos app”...

Badge

FYI.

The update from the controller app is still failing on Windows 10 and 11 machines here. Been going on for a few years now, I think since S2. Reverting to the manual method of downloading the latest Controller update and running the installer.

Badge

Still an ongoing issue:

“Sonos controller installer failed to download.”

It has worked one time in the past several months. Over 90% of the time it fails.

nslookup update-software.sonos.com
Server:  dns.sse.cisco.com
Address:  208.67.222.222

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    e7788.b.akamaiedge.net
Address:  23.195.218.207
Aliases:  update-software.sonos.com
          ssl.sonos.com-dsa.edgekey.net
          ssl.sonos.com-dsa.edgekey.net.globalredir.akadns.net

ping update-software.sonos.com

Pinging e7788.b.akamaiedge.net [23.195.218.207] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.