Skip to main content

Just updated the controller for Mac and evertime I try and use the search bar it just crashes. It didn't have this problem yesterday. Also my Ones seemed to have automatically unpaired themselves twice today as well but I was able to repair them back to stereo. Have both these issues been happening for anyone else?

No, but I’ve seen such an issue mentioned here in the ‘distant’ past and I think the answer was to uninstall the App, download it again from HERE and reinstall …and on launch choose the option to connect to the "existing" Sonos system. 

So perhaps see if that fixes it for you.

It’s the same on Windows. The bug seems to only exhibit if you type quickly in the search box, typing in the search box slowly (and letting the search results update before pressing another key) will not cause it to crash (so likely some sort of threading issue). I think this was just a dodgy release.

Here are the links for V13.1 however which did not have this issue (you will likely have to uninstall V13.1.1 before it will let you install the older version):

Mac : https://update-software.sonos.com/software/mac/mdcr/SonosDesktopController131.dmg
Windows : https://update-software.sonos.com/software/pc/dcr/SonosDesktopController131.exe

I have tried telling Sonos Support via webchat but they are US based and I am UK. Sonos Support asked me to uninstall and reinstall which made no difference. They don’t have a controller to test on their end so needed to screenshare with me to further test. The UK office won’t be open until after the weekend. My case ref is #02965200

As of writing there is also no release notes for V13.1.1 (V13.1 is the latest shown at https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3521?language=en_US)

V13.1 works fine in the meantime.

The Windows Controller V13.1.1 crash (for those Googling) appears in Event Viewer as:

Fault bucket .., type 5
Event Name: BEX
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Sonos.exe
P2: 6.0.0.34230
P3: 453d4bd8
P4: sclib-csharp.DLL
P5: 0.0.0.0
P6: 60aeaf42
P7: 0091fa62
P8: c0000409
P9: 00000005
P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
..\AppCrash_Sonos.exe_.._..._..

Analysis symbol:
Report Id: ..
Report Status: ..
Hashed bucket: ..
Cab Guid: 0

I reported this error yesterday as well in the Danish support. Also with remote control and event logs. Same errors as described here. Buggy release. 

Thanks @Matthew1471! same problem here, typing a fast search crashes the app, especially if a search is mistyped. Happens when searching Radio especially. Only started happening since I updated to the newer build. Usual unhelpful responses, check your firewall, reinstall, reload etc etc. Will try the older version you posted.

Here are the links for V13.1 however which did not have this issue (you will likely have to uninstall V13.1.1 before it will let you install the older version):

Mac : https://update-software.sonos.com/software/mac/mdcr/SonosDesktopController131.dmg
Windows : https://update-software.sonos.com/software/pc/dcr/SonosDesktopController131.exe

Error on that Windows version.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for raising this. We are aware of an issue causing desktop apps to crash when using the search bar and are working on a solution for a future controller update. We can suggest two workarounds in the meantime:

1. If mobile controllers are available, use them, though we appreciate that’s not ideal for everyone.
  2. Download and install version 13.1, but do not update the controller, thereafter.
    Direct download links are available here:

Thanks @James L. that seems to work.

Hey folks,

Thank you so much for your patience. We’ve just released version 13.1.2 that should resolve the crashing issue when using the search box on Windows and Mac controllers. Please update your desktop controllers by pressing Manage → Check for Software Updates to get the fixed version. :smiley: Anyone who continues to experience issues should contact our Customer Care team.

Hey folks,

Thank you so much for your patience. We’ve just released version 13.1.2 that should resolve the crashing issue when using the search box on Windows and Mac controllers. Please update your desktop controllers by pressing Manage → Check for Software Updates to get the fixed version. :smiley: Anyone who continues to experience issues should contact our Customer Care team.

Its been nearly a week since 13.1.1 was released and there are still no Release Notes available for that firmware revision. Can you pass along a request to have this info posted?

Hey folks,

Its been nearly a week since 13.1.1 was released and there are still no Release Notes available for that firmware revision. Can you pass along a request to have this info posted?

I don’t think ‘minor’ updates are usually posted by Sonos - it would likely just say ‘bug fixes’ anyway, that’s my guess.

Hey folks,

I don’t think ‘minor’ updates are usually posted by Sonos - it would likely just say ‘bug fixes’ anyway, that’s my guess.

That doesn’t appear to be the case…

Not trying to ‘split hairs’ but being able to add a second Sub to a HT setup, is perhaps a little more than a minor bug fix update with no additional functionality. That’s was the point I was hinting at.