Question

Sonos Can't Find my MacBook

Badge
I have had all kinds of issues with my Sonos. First, it wouldn't find my iTunes music library. Then, not sure how, started finding it. Maybe it was when I shortened my computer name? It worked for a day or so.. Then it started not connecting to my macbook.. I submitted a question, Sonos said try to restart the Wifi. I did that and restarted the Mac and that worked for a day, day and a half. Now it's back to "can't connect to Robs-Macbook pro/music. " Once in a while I get a "1002" message but not consistently. I restarted the WiFi and my computer again and that fixed NOTHING this time.. I have done the Firewall procedures. The controller will let me add music into the que but will not allow me to play it. That's when I get the "cannot connect.." error message after a short time of (not sure what the technical name for it is..not pinwheel but..) the little thing that spins, looks spikey, basically saying it's thinking.. get one of those those on top right of controller as well as sometimes in the middle of the screen then the error message. This is maddening to say the least. Shouldn't be this hard to use this system. I have no idea what else to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Hi Rob777. This is untypical, but it does happen and must be infuriating. If you have typed the computer name exactly as it is, it is still longer than 15 characters. Try Robs-MacBook, say. The computer name must be the same as the NetBIOS name. You have probably been through the following link, but I'll mention it anyway.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2413/~/mac-os-x-music-sharing-help
Badge
Thanks. I went through these steps. Noticed that I had an apostrophe in my computer name.. eliminated that. Also just made it all one continuous name. Restarted. Went back to manage music library, added music. Now it's working. Let's cross fingers it stays working! THANKS!!
Badge
Ok so.. back where I started.. I enjoyed a day listening to my music on Sonos.. was tired of the same artist so I cleared my que. Now.. Can't find my macbook again.. I am beyond frustrated.. I shut down, restarted Sonos. Same issue. I shut down, restarted Wifi/Router. Restarted it, restarted Sonos, same issue. I have no idea what to do anymore.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Ok so.. back where I started.. I enjoyed a day listening to my music on Sonos.. was tired of the same artist so I cleared my que. Now.. Can't find my macbook again.. I am beyond frustrated.. I shut down, restarted Sonos. Same issue. I shut down, restarted Wifi/Router. Restarted it, restarted Sonos, same issue. I have no idea what to do anymore.

Hi Rob777,

Please send in a diagnostic report from the Sonos app on your Mac, then reply with the confirmation number. Here's how to submit diagnostic reports.
Badge
Here is my confirmation number.. 6327601
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Here is my confirmation number.. 6327601

Hi Rob777,

It would be best to continue troubleshooting on the phone so we can get to the bottom of this issue. Please give us a call and reference case number: 160623-000703. You can find our phone number and hours here.
ROB777... wondering if your issue is resolved. I have the same experience on iMac and MacBook.
RRH851, it might be best if you also posted a system diagnostic for the guys at Sonos to take a look at.. They'd be able to figure out whether the issue they worked through with Rob777 is the same as yours.
Hello Rob777. John B brings up a good point about the computer name. We'd like to take a closer look at the communication between Sonos and your computer. Can you submit a diagnostic and let us know the confirmation number?
Thanks Airgetiam. My diagnostic report # 7380096
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thanks for the diagnostic RRH851. I would recommend calling our support line at your earliest convenience to troubleshoot live with one of our technicians. Please give us a call and use the reference number 170509-002181. You can find our number and hours of operation here: http://www.sonos.com/en-us/contact