Skip to main content
i recently updated sonos app on iphone (running whatever software is before ios11). now sonos will recognize speakers (i have six sonos play:1s around my home) one day and not recognize them another. when playing music it will sporadically cut out for 8-10 seconds. system was working fine with none of these issues before app update! what am i supposed to do to fix? is it possible to re-download older app version?
support diagnostics number 8412483
If I were to guess, you've run in to an issue with your wifi router handing out duplicate IP addresses, which sometimes can be exposed when Sonos updates their software, since it forces each speaker to do a soft reboot, and ask for a new address.

Relatively easy to fix, although with six speakers it may take you a few minutes. Unplug all of your Sonos speakers from power. Then reboot your wifi router. Once the router is back up after a minute or two, plug in your first speaker. If you have one of them plugged in to the router with an ethernet cable, choose that one first, otherwise just the one that's closest to the router is fine. Give that speaker a minute or so to boot up properly, then move on to the next speaker, and plug it in. Again, you need to wait a minute for the booting process to finish before moving to the next speaker. Keep doing this until you've got all of them plugged in.

This issue can pop up infrequently with the number of software updates that Sonos does. There's a long term fix for it, which is setting up reserved/static IP addresses for you speakers in the router's IP table. For me, that required a look at the manual for my router, and then in the "about my Sonos system" area of the controller app to get all the necessary MAC addresses, although they're also on each speaker. But since I've taken this step, I've never had this issue appear.

Best of luck!
Hi there, dkinchgo. Thanks for posting and for the diagnostic report. There seems to be quite a bit of wireless interference across the entire system. I also see that your system is connecting to multiple access points. Could you tell us a little more about your local network such as make/model of the router and any access points? Is it possible to plug one of these Sonos devices to the main router?

Thanks!
thank you for the quick response. i did what you said. two of the speakers weren't found by the app initially. i held doen the button on top of each and after a moment they were recognized. i'm cautiously optimistic!
Would you mind submitting another diagnostic report? I'll be happy to compare changes.
Hi there, dkinchgo. Thanks for posting and for the diagnostic report. There seems to be quite a bit of wireless interference across the entire system. I also see that your system is connecting to multiple access points. Could you tell us a little more about your local network such as make/model of the router and any access points? Is it possible to plug one of these Sonos devices to the main router?

Thanks!

hi keith. i have a wireless modem (comcast xfinity) and one access point. unfortunately the bottom is in the basement and not i place i'd have a speaker. i'm curious though, as my system was working fine with no issues, why updating the app would cause such issues?

also, router/modem model number is tg1682g if that helps.
Updating the app wouldn't have an impact on wireless connectivity directly. In most cases, updates trigger your Sonos devices to reboot and reconnect to the network. In larger and more robust networks, this can cause connectivity issues. Just as Airgetlam advised, setting IP reservations is a great way to make sure this doesn't happen.
The new software is awful. It sucks.

So slow on Android. My Mac and Android show completely different devices

Get it together Sonos!
The app is just a controller, sending commands. Speed is a function of the device and network connectivity. Instantaneous response on both my Android devices. There is no generic issue for Sonos to address.
Wrong!!! Bad software performs badly. You're clearly an apologist for Sonos because you're comments are wrong on so many levels. "The app is just a controller sending commands" - well it sounds all technical but it doesn't really say anything. Apps do send commands but they can do it well or they can do it poorly. I have seen and written plenty of bad code in my life.

"Speed is a function of the device and network connectivity" is where you go into ignorant land. Blame the network is the "out" for every ill informed pseudo techie. My network is flat, fast and secure and my phone and Mac are new and optimized.

Sonos older versions operated with better reliability and faster on the same devices and the same network. Its just a bad release.
Wow not very nice. I wouldn’t want to help someone like that.

Ps there is nothing wrong with Sonos release. All issues are personal network issues that can be resolved with a good attitude.
Classic symptoms of IP conflicts, which is why some devices are having trouble connecting and others are not. If you really wish to get your system set right, instead of insisting there is something wrong with the software and abusing people trying to help, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem

Router

Switches or hubs

Wired Sonos units

Wireless Sonos units

Computers/printers

Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
OK so it is a bad release. There are hundreds of thousands of crippled Android controllers out there. So where are all the other complaints? Am I the only user who has escaped? The ignorance, in every sense. is entirely on your side.

You might also note that the original complaint on this thread was three months ago, and therefore about a different app version. There is always someone......
And gee. You may find people who enjoy and like Sonos hanging out on Sonos board too. With lots of expertise that you could take advantage of if already weren’t an “expert”
Yes John all of mine work terrific. Oh but then I have all mine set with reserved IP addresses to make sure I don’t develop network issues with device updates and reboots of all types. I wonder if by chance there is some correlation.