Skip to main content

Hi.

I am just curious why the Sonos app updates so frequently?

The app seems to update 2 or 3 times a week!

Everything is working okay now after the latest update but prior to that the sound (whether coming directly from the TV or from streaming music via the Amazon Music app) kept sporadically going mute and I had to fiddle around to get it working again.

I am currently on Sonos OS S2, Version 14.4 and Build 67127100

Anyone else had this problem and by the way it's no fault with my fibre optic internet connection or WiFi !

Cheers 🍻 

They fix bugs, and add features.

One of the most frequent issues that occurs around updates is the potential for duplicate IP addresses, due to a misunderstanding in the router. Easily fixed, by unplugging all Sonos devices, then rebooting the router, and finally plugging the Sonos devices back in to power once the router has come back up.

Has nothing to do with how you get your internet, or even how your Sonos devices are connected. 

But there’s not really much in your description to go any further. 

It is normally once a month, occasionally there will be a small point release but I’ve never seen 3 a week.

As Bruce says an update will show up any issues in your wifi set up. A restart of all devices normally sorts things.

John

One of the most frequent issues that occurs around updates is the potential for duplicate IP addresses, due to a misunderstanding in the router. Easily fixed, by unplugging all Sonos devices, then rebooting the router, and finally plugging the Sonos devices back in to power once the router has come back up.

I didn't know about the possibility of a duplicate IP address problem!

I will carry out your advice in future i.e. unplugging all Sonos devices, rebooting the router and plugging it all back in.

Cheers 🍻

It is normally once a month, occasionally there will be a small point release but I’ve never seen 3 a week.

As Bruce says an update will show up any issues in your wifi set up. A restart of all devices normally sorts things.

John

Sorry I meant to say a month not a week!

I should have modified my original post.

I didn't know about the possibility of a duplicate IP address problem!

I will carry out your advice in future i.e. unplugging all Sonos devices, rebooting the router and plugging it all back in.

Cheers 🍻

Try reserving the Sonos IP addresses in your routers DHCP reservation table - that should prevent it ever happening again.

Try reserving the Sonos IP addresses in your routers DHCP reservation table - that should prevent it ever happening again.

Sorry but I don't know how to do this as I rarely go into my router and change settings!

I have a Sky SR203 router.

I'll just çarry out the advice that @Airgetlam mentioned but thanks anyway.

Well, my suggestion is much more temporary. If a router has gotten in to that “state”, there’s a good chance it will again, so it’s possible that you’ll need to repeat the procedure, at some point. Ken’s suggestion alleviates any potential need to repeat that process. You might check the manual you got from Sky on your router, or contact them for more instructions on how to do it, if you’re motivated. That said, my process is a bit easier, just less permanent. 

Sorry but I don't know how to do this as I rarely go into my router and change settings!

I'll just çarry out the advice that @Airgetlam mentioned but thanks anyway.

You may find a YouTube video to help guide the way to do this - here’s an example but not sure if it’s the exact same router?

https://youtu.be/j_rKw2GcdIw

Well, my suggestion is much more temporary. If a router has gotten in to that “state”, there’s a good chance it will again, so it’s possible that you’ll need to repeat the procedure, at some point. Ken’s suggestion alleviates any potential need to repeat that process. You might check the manual you got from Sky on your router, or contact them for more instructions on how to do it, if you’re motivated. That said, my process is a bit easier, just less permanent. 

I never had a manual with the router but I could Google an online pdf but I am weary about changing the router settings as I don't really know what I am doing and anyway I can't be certain that it is the cause of the problem.

I'll just çarry out the advice that @Airgetlam mentioned but thanks anyway.

You may find a YouTube video to help guide the way to do this - here’s an example but not sure if it’s the exact same router?

https://youtu.be/j_rKw2GcdIw

As just mentioned, I am not certain changing my router settings would solve the problem.

Well I don't currently have a problem since the update as not one sound glitch on the new firmware so far (touchwood)

I have checked out my current router settings (below) but to be honest it doesn't mean much to me so I am leaving things as they are!

Thanks for your advice though.

Â