Skip to main content

I have mostly older Sonos equipment. 2 S5’s, 2 S3’s and a couple of newer S1’s. I have moved my extensive CD collection to my hard drive and hardly ever use streaming services. I much prefer to manage my system from my computer rather than my Pixel4XL. All of this is to say I don’t care diddley about new software just to keep up with streaming services

I just fired up my windows app and it wanted me to update (which I had just done less than a week ago!). So I did. The update took 3 minutes, said it was done but then goes right back to asking me to update again. I cycled through it 3 times (it doesn’t take long now, I guess because it is already updated.

But it won’t do anything else. Everything else is grayed out. Oh yes, it will allow a reset. I’ve got no time to screw around with that, running all over the house, resetting speakers, just because I want to play a little music.

Hi @mpbl, thank you for reaching out to us, and welcome to the Sonos community. I appreciate you for bringing this concern to us as well as the steps that you have performed. Let me help you out.

First, I'd like to ask some questions to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

1. Have you tried force closing the Sonos app and re-open it? 
2. Did you try to reset the Sonos app from your computer? In the Sonos app > Settings > App Preferences > Reset App

If you have performed the steps above and you're still having the same issue, please proceed to the next troubleshooting steps:

1. Uninstall the Sonos app from your Windows PC.
2. Click the link to download the updated Windows PC controller - https://www.sonos.com/redir/controller_software_pc2
3. Open the Sonos app and connect to your existing system.

If you’re still having the same problem, it would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process. I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to remotely access your device and perform some tests to isolate the issue. Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.

Thanks for answering, Rowena. No, I didn't try any of those. I'm working seven days a week up to ten hours a day and I really can't afford the couple of hours it takes to do all that. I don't use the system all that much right now but it seems every time I do it gets more difficult to start it up. I spent a lot of money on it but this constant need to update and the increasing difficulty of doing so is getting ridiculous.

As an electrical and computer engineer (with two degrees from MIT) it would seem to me you could develop an interface box that could handle all the new software issues and then just send out the old feeds to the legacy systems. Such translation layers are common in software. You just need a well defined interface. 

Microsoft managed to maintain legacy through generations of operating systems, a much more complex problem than yours. 

I'm seriously considering dumping the whole system. If I do I shall take to social media and recommend very strongly against anyone adopting Sonos.

Michael Bruce-Lockhart 

Had the same problem, just got off the phone with sonos NL. I still had the Sonos S1 software installed. On my [phone I already switched to S2 app, but also on a windows desktop black you need to switch.

Go to add/remove programs, remove sonos software (it is the black sonos logo that has to go) Now download new software from the sonos site. in add/remove programs you now see a orange sonos logo. that is the s2 and it worked for me.

oh and if both are installed is also doesn't work

oh and if both are installed is also doesn't work

Having both installed works just fine, its how one is supposed to run a split system. However if both are running at the same time, it can cause one of them to not find its system. (This seems to apply to mobile, PC has never given me a problem).