Skip to main content
My mother loves her Sonos. especially now audible works on it, but I have to operate her controller app to play tracks for her as she is disabled. She can only manage very simple apps on her ipad. Ideally I would like a playlist to start or stop with simple click of an ipad desktop icon. Is there anything out there to do this? if not does Sonos expose an API which would allow me or some keen script kid to do this?
Is voice control an option?

Also, there are 3rd party smart hubs/apps and such that can do what your looking for. Yonomi is a free app that will find your Sonos speakers and allow you setup routines where a Sonos favorite can play on select speakers at select volume at the press of a button. I personally use the Lutron app to do this (along with lighting control). In fact, I have a scheduled wakeup with various lights coming on and a radio station playing in 3 different rooms every morning. I have setup widgets on my phone that will allow me to setup fairly large buttons to kick off routines easily. I'm on android though, don't know if it would work on an ipad.

There are also some 3rd party apps in the apps store that can control Sonos, although I can't say that they would be easier to use.

Lastly, if she can physically get to the speakers, the hard buttons on the units can be used for basic control in a pinch.
I've been thinking of looking at some of the Linux based controller software mentioned here and used in conjunction with a Raspberry Pi computer. A Cr-100 like device with a small video screen (non-touch) and some big buttons would make the wife and my mom both happy.

Hey Sonos... Folks get old and infirm, folks get arthritic fingers, there are even young folks with disabilities that Sonos is a PITA for now that the CR-100 is gone.
Thanks - Installed Yonomi this morning and Mum is happy with it - as is Daniel ODonnell who is earning royalties from Mums incessant playing of his albums on Napster.
Sonopad is another iPad option to consider.