Answered

Sonos app and Apple Music playlist

• 11 December 2023
  • 9 replies

I have been delighted with my Sonos speakers!   I have six One SL’s and an Ikea Symfonisk.   The Sonos app has been problematic.   It is currently not reflecting a new playlist that I created in Apple Music.   It does see my other Apple Music playlists and has updated the AM playlist view recently. 

The Sonos app did not import any of my AM playlists into Sonos, although it did import music without playlists from iTunes.  It errors out when I try to rebuild my music index. 

I am sure that I am greatly exceeding the Sonos app’s limits in terms of playlists—I have hundreds of playlists and at least 50,000 tracks.    I can work around the Sonos app by just playing back from Apple or Alexa via Airplay.   Drastically reducing the number of playlists in Apple Music did not fix the Sonos app import problems, and cutting back on my playlists is not a good solution for me.

So my questions are:

1.  How do you force the rebuild of the Sonos app’s Apple Music playlist view?
  2. Why is the AM playlist view not updating?
  3. What are the Sonos app’s playlist and track limits, and might that be expanded at some point?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 13 December 2023, 15:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @wse106, welcome to the Sonos Community!

If you’re getting Music Library errors, I’d recommend reaching out to our support team for live troubleshooting, as they can remote into your system to resolve these types of errors.

To answer your questions however, indexing your Music Library is how you rebuild it to show new entries. To show your playlists, you need to point Sonos to Apple Music’s XML file which contains the playlist information. Apple Music may have not created this initially, but you can follow Apple’s support article on how to create and save this file.

Music Libraries have a 65,000 track limit, and a 10,000 track limit total for all playlists, and there is a 1000 playlist limit on imported playlists.

I hope this information helps!

Thanks for your message,   I am sure I am over the 10,000 track limit for imported playlists.  I have given up on importing my Apple Music playlists into Sonos.   Do you have any insight on why Sonos’ Apple Music playlist view (different from importing the playlists) is not being updated?   Is that also hitting the Sonos limits?

At some point I will send a diagnostic to Sonos.   Right now, Airplaying from Apple to Sonos, or streaming from Alexa to Sonos, is working.   Thanks again.

Hi all—so it looks like my Apple Music playlists are now syncing to Sonos!   I can now create new AM playlists and play them in Sonos.   They appear to transfer instantly.   Using AirPlay from a Mac was not working well—I was repeatedly power cycling speakers to fix hangups.  I wonder if Sonos intervened somehow.

I am finding that I get 1002 errors when I try to load playlists with 2300-2400 tracks into the Sonos app queue.   When I do this on a hardwired Mac, I get the error, but find that the playlist sometimes loads and that I can play it.   I am wondering if the app is timing out too quickly.   I can, of course, work around this problem by creating shorter playlists (500-700 tracks).  

I saw an allusion to a known problem with playlists longer than 500 tracks in a posting from a few years ago, and am wondering if this was ever fixed.  It would be nice to be able to play long playlists.   Thanks for any insights.  Still love the Sonos sound and multi-room abilities!

Badge

I have a similar problem which I’ll add to the myriad of issues I’ve had to deal with since investing in sonos 5years ago.  On Saturday 20th Jan 23 I added some more music to my Apple Music account and as is the norm, within a minute these additions appeared in the Sonos S2 app in all sections (recently added, artists, songs etc).  Went to do the same on Monday, nothing updated. Tried creating a new AM playlist with old songs, that didn’t update either. So, several days on my Apple Music library, according to the S2 app, hasn’t changed since Saturday. I’ve tried all the usual unhelpful and frankly idiotic suggestions Sonos suggest every time something packs up, (reboot wifi, reauthorise AM, etc etc, all to no avail. 

Are you using iCloud Music Library and are your playlists appearing on other Apple devices?   Every now and then I have to turn Sync Library off in the Apple Music app and then turn it on again to restart the sync.   I am not thrilled with having to do this, but it seems to work,   From there, you can see whether your playlists show up on Sonos.

Another thing to try is renaming your playlists.  Sometimes that fixes things.

Badge

Hi wse106, Yes I use iCloud Music Library via an Apple Music subscription. My playlists, new music added and existing music deleted are all appearing instantly on my other apple devices and family home-sharing devices. They are even accessible via my Alexa only devices, including bizzarely via Alexa on the Sonos One! However, as far as the Sonos S2 app is concerned my Apple Music library has not changed at all for 5 days.  It’s stuck in time!? I tried your two suggestions but unfortunately they made no difference. Just another irritating flaw in the Sonos ecosystem that makes me want to sell the lot and start again!

Try rebuilding your music index.  That can take a while.   I think that has worked for me to refresh the playlists.   There is also a timed update.  Look in System Music Library.  Not guaranteeing these things, but worth a try…

I can understand your frustration.  For me, the playlists are working, but they have mysteriously failed in the past.

Another way to avoid trouble with Sonos network instability is to Ethernet all of your speakers…