Sonos App

• 1 December 2023
  • 4 replies

We have several sonos five speakers installed, one in certain offices. How can i setup that person on the app to only control the speaker in their office?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

There isn’t a way in the software to ‘lock out’ certain people from accessing all Sonos devices in that ‘system’. 
I would expect that the easiest thing to do is break this one system into several, with the person you want to be in control being the ‘master’ of that setup. 

But this is challenging, too, if you’re expected to also have access to these same systems. And each streaming service might have problems with multiple connections from the same ‘account’, depending on how they look at it.

All of this is to say that Sonos really has always been a ‘home’ audio solution, so all their software is written with that in mind. You may, however, want to look at this page, and see if some of those services match your needs more closely. 

Would it be possible to have two accounts that would allow me to control only one Sonos in the same atmosphere for one person in one room? 

I don’t think I understand the question. But Sonos has no restriction (other than 32 concurrent controllers connected, on the same subnet) on how many ‘accounts’ manage a system. 

You might want to look into Sonos Pro, which is designed for using Sonos in a business environment rather than a home.  You can have additional accounts and restrictions that are not available in a normal Sonos setup, but not sure it has exactly the feature you’re looking for.

If that doesn’t work for you, you could setup each speaker/office as it’s own separate Sonos system.  That would prevent speakers from playing the same content, but if they are all on the same WiFi network, then a user could switch to a different system anytime they want without a username/password, so it really wouldn’t help that much, and defeat the point of having a multiroom audio system anyway.